Working towards the CCENT

ItztalItztal Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been on and off with my CCENT studies and due to a recent injury in the family I had to place it on the back burner.

After a month or so of being completely out of the loop I discover the exam changes. So starting tomorrow I am goingto to start fresh and try to get it done by September. I have two little kids and work 45 hours..can it be done? Also I would like to get my hands on real equipment so if someone could point me to a list if what I would need and where to buy..that would be awesome and as well as a CCENT lab for idiots packet.

Thanks a ton

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Itztal wrote: »
    After a month or so of being completely out of the loop I discover the exam changes. So starting tomorrow I am goingto to start fresh and try to get it done by September. I have two little kids and work 45 hours..can it be done?
    Thanks a ton

Sorry to hear about your family member, I hope they are ok and feeling a lot better. You are the only one who knows if this can be done........
    From what I have read on these forums, you don't need equipment to pass the CCENT...something that is software based but I do not remember the name....
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    You can get by with GNS3 or GNS Workbench to play with virtualised cisco kit but hardware is always a good start. Try and pick up a 2950 or 3550 on ebay and play about with it and go from there. The general rule is that if you don't know how to pick your hardware, you aren't ready for it yet.
  • MaggersMaggers Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you've already put some effort into studying towards CCENT and have already bought materials I would go for the old exam - the last day to test is Sept 30th and it should be easy to get ICND1 and 2 by then. I took ICND1 on Thursday and got 912 - passmark was 804. I read the book and watched some videos over the course of a month. I didn't use anything for hands on. I expect to pass ICND2 in 4-5 weeks. Good luck with your studies
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ItztalItztal Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch for the advice and links. Has know of a lab book that goes with Odoms chapters? Or a highly regarded ccent lab book?
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Itztal wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch for the advice and links. Has know of a lab book that goes with Odoms chapters? Or a highly regarded ccent lab book?

If you wish, then you can use Boson's Netsim for CCNET & CCNA. ;)
    Talking about lab-book, I don't know of anything good.
    But Lammle's book have both theoretical & practical ideas.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out freeccnaworkbook.com. Some of the labs will be CCNA scope, not CCENT, but you can just not do those. And as the site says, it's free!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

I'm also on my Cisco journey hoping to have my CCNA by May/June
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    thanks

So has anyone just used CBT nuggets? I have nuggets and Odoms book..both of which are great but I was thinking just going through Nuggets several times and maybe scanning through Odoms stuff. I know it all comes down to me, but wanted to know if anyone just used nuggets
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm using CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara in combination with Todd Lammle's book and it's been working for me in my studies :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Can you pass the test only using nuggets? Yes. However it will be ridiculously more difficult than if you did hands-on labbing. Whether you use virtual methods (GNS3, Packet Tracer, or renting lab time) or actual equipment (my preferred method, but can be quite costly if you let it), in my opinion you really need to know how to apply what you have read and seen.

Bear in mind that doesn't necessarily ring true for everyone, but I feel confident in saying that it is a necessity for a majority of the people who would attempt this exam. That being said, if you work with Cisco equipment on a daily basis or something, then you might not need lab work and will be fine.

Is it a time factor that causes you to not want to do any hands on at all? Or is it something like cost of equipment?
    At this point cost
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link, mdomino - looks like a great resource!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Itztal, getting hands-on with Boson Netsim is $99, and GNS3 is free but requires more time to learn. The cost of hands-on experience thus shouldn't be a barrier. CBT Nuggets is great, but I wouldn't recommend it as an only-source. If you're really pinching pennies, a used copy of Odom or Lammle plus Boson Netsim is probably a sounder investment.
    Ah thanks..

Has anyone gone through a bootcamp? if so please tell me your good and bad experiences. I was thinking about lammles bootcamp
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I haven't been through a Cisco boot camp, but I did go through one for my A+ and another for my Security+. I really feel like boot camps are best as a sort of final test prep. I would not rely on them at all to get you from zero to hero. I'm not saying you can't walk out with enough information to pass a test, I'm just saying that there is no way you will reliably retain and/or understand said information.

IMHO you'd be better off spending the money that would have paid for the boot camp and buying more learning resources.
    That makes sense

One more question and i'll hush up.

Is there a day to day or week to week check list/Study Guide something that says..Monday Read this and Do this..Tuesday do this this and this etc..came to the realization that's what will help me the most. Thanks
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Make one yourself? A general one isn't going to work....
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want someone to make a reasonable schedule for you and help you stick to it, check out www.in60days.net. It's by Paul Browning, a lesser-known but well-respected name in certification training.