Project Management

PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
I finished up an intro to project management class recently and its completely thrown everything what I thought I was doing out the window. I knew I was ultimately always interested in management, but I always thought I'd have to pursue hard skills to get there through systems and networking positions.

Call me insane, but I actually may really like project management. Its becoming increasingly obvious as I do more hands on managing of the help desk where I work. Anyone around here pursue or have completed PMI certifications? I feel like I could blow through Project+ in a few weeks and after that I'm pretty sure its all PMI stuff for project management.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have the the required amount of time to sit for the PMP or RMP? You could sit for the CAPM or Project + but other than that I don't believe you have the required experience.

If you are managing a help desk you are not managing a project you are managing an operation. Sounds like a service management framework aligns with your role.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    What do you think "Project Management" really is? And what emphasis are you planning on going? Project Manager with an emphasis on IT? Operations Management with an emphasis on IT? General Project Management? "General Management", there is a lot of different avenues... But being a PMO is not a breeze, trust me.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure CAPM/Project+ is the start. PMP is a bit more advanced, heh.

Help desk is absolutely operational but the setting I'm in is so we get a decent amount of projects thrown into it as well.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure CAPM/Project+ is the start. PMP is a bit more advanced, heh.

Help desk is absolutely operational but the setting I'm in we get a decent amount of projects thrown into it as well. The amount of senior positions requiring project management experience almost ubiquitous.
    Sponx wrote: »
    What do you think "Project Management" really is? And what emphasis are you planning on going? Project Manager with an emphasis on IT? Operations Management with an emphasis on IT? General Project Management? "General Management", there is a lot of different avenues... But being a PMO is not a breeze, trust me.

That's why I'm asking here! My current thought process is emphasis on IT. The intro class I went through I liked quite a bit prompted me to apply what I learned there to stuff I've already gone through (not aware of this material at the time).
    Poly you are a bright guy no question about it, but I would be leary of microwaving certifications. I would consider getting the ITIL 2011 Foundation. It will help in any enterprise you go into and believe it or not it gets recognition. Once you get the required experience then go for the PMP. I wouldn't waste you time on the CAPM or Project +.

***No one cares about the CAPM. Infact several of our PMP's here and in other environments never heard of the exam. Just my two cents you do what you will.

But keep this in mind. ITIL is trending upward still and it has become the translation between the business and IT. This his holistic encompassing all of IT. Project Management a subset which can snap into ITIL, just like Asset Management etc.

I would grab the foundational ITIL cert and then let you career path move forward. You may skip the PM role and move into a high level operational manager. Which in most organization pay more and have more teeth.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Poly you are a bright guy no question about it, but I would be leary of microwaving certifications. I would consider getting the ITIL 2011 Foundation. It will help in any enterprise you go into and believe it or not it gets recognition. Once you get the required experience then go for the PMP. I wouldn't waste you time on the CAPM or Project +.

Makes sense to me. I've come across ITIL a few times.

This is an area I've only started to recognize and I definitely value the thoughts of those who have more experience than me. Which is why I ask ;)
    No worries man. If I have questions about anything quantative I'll be going to you
    :)

High level here is how I would execute.

Keep gaining experience - management service desk
    Finish your MS IT Management
    Get the ITIL 2011 Foundation (Low hanging fruit)

Reevaluate

If I was career coach that is how I would guide you.
    Now that you've pointed it out to me the ITIL materials seems extremely relevant to my interests!
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Best of luck to you, you seem to have it planned out now. Be sure you you're going to be doing something high-level with a focus of your interests.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
    It will become more and more important as you progress. You'll see :)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This thread delivers!
    Forgive the bad spelling in this thread. I am doped up and have a procedure tomorrow. Nothing major, but the facts though.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Forgive the bad spelling in this thread. I am doped up and have a procedure tomorrow. Nothing major, but the facts though.

Forgiven. The ITIL stuff is exactly the subject matter I'm interested in ;)
  • ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I concur that ITIL v3 Foundations exam would be very beneficial for you since IT service management is all-encompassing. Most of what we do in IT can be wrapped into ITIL's best practices framework.

I would also say that a project management certification would be valuable as well. Even though you don't meet the requirements to sit for the PMP, starting off with the Project+ wouldn't hurt.

I have both the ITIL v3 Foundation cert and Project+ and I've worked with both our Cybersecurity ITIL team (at a Fed Gov't agency) setting up our service catalog, processes, etc. I also work in IT project governance, utilizing fundamental project management skillsets I've learned. From my experience the skillsets learned in IT service mangement (ITIL) and project management (Project+) are discretely different but overlap in some areas. So I see value in both.

Overall I think both exams are quite easy, so if you have the time and money, definitely consider both.
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
    Strong necro post! I'm going to transition my MS IT Management into MS Project Management at my school because you can transfer classes. I could not be more positive that my long term career path (to the C list haha) will involve a heavy focus on projects. Assuming as I continue dive into PM and keep liking the material, the second MS is my plan. After that maybe even MBA land.

I appreciate your input. I do have the time/money for both those. I noticed when N2IT pointed out ITIL I discovered the contents are very relevant to my interests. I would probably only grab P+ to increase the likelihood of being accepting into the 2nd MS program when that time comes around next summer. My current workplace positions me well into programs there anyways, as I'm part of the close knit higher ed Boston bubble.

Solid advice! Thank you!
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I've co-led/managed several projects for the DoD, and while I thoroughly enjoyed them, the one part making me re-think wanting to be a FT PM is not all projects will align with my passion/skills/knowledge. I've done PM for Cloud Computing, Enterprise Storage, Site-Wide Multi-Function Printers, Flagship Conference Room upgrades, IT Support integration based on mission vs baseline, and a bunch of other smaller projects. These ranged from 3 months to 12 months. All of these were great. I am now participating in a Navy contract that's been going for about 9 months, and I would hate to be the PM for this project. It's development based, so it's outside of my scope. Do any of you PM's get to ever pick and choose? I'm assuming if you are the PM for an organization, you will be tasked with whatever is needed. I love being a part time PM, but I love getting involved with a ton of other stuff too. PM also involves a ton of writing (good or bad, depending on your outlook).

Also, I've managed teams before. This is VERY different from PM.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Also, I've managed teams before. This is VERY different from PM.

Definitely different, but undeniably interconnected.

My dual IT/Project Management MS and (potential) MBA plan is simply my gut feeling right now. It just feels right to me. I have a handful of incredibly successful role models who are highly educated in a similar fashion and I have the resources to do it.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Holy thread resuscitation, Batman!

Actually, someone had posted a question about degrees related to project management. The thought had bounced around in my head, and somehow this morning I remembered the question. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread. I thought I might as well post the thought here and hope I'm not duplicating somebody:

Master of Science in Project Management | UW-Platteville Distance Education
    MS in Project Management by distance. Follows PMBOK, electives allow for a healthy smattering of business courses as well.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Glad to know 3 months later I'm still really interested in project management and it wasn't a fad =P
  • PeterKhitinPeterKhitin Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you really like it, then go for the highest standard. PMP certification is what you need. It's time-consuming but possible. I wouldn't consider other options, I'd go right after what's considered the best in the industry. Good luck