My plan for success of CCNA

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
OK!

I have all the equipment any CCNA would ever need:

1- Cisco 4000
4- Cisco 1721's
2 - Cisco 2500 series
2- Cisco 2912-XL-EN's

OK so I am currently reading Todd Lammle's Sybex CCNA 5th edition. I am starting chapter 8 (VLAN's) and I am hoping to have it finished by the second week of april. I would like to have my CCNA by May 5th. So I need your help on a plan to do this.

So like I said I hope to have the CCNA book by second week of April. So I was thinking I should read a 'review' book like CCNA for Dummies? Is there anything else anyone recommends?? I basically want to refresh my memory, since I have been studying since Feb 8th and it's amazing how easily you forget some things. I have heard of CCNA Fastpass? Is this a review type book? After I read the quick review book I am going to do as many CCNA type questions/labs as I can (subnetting included). I am also thinking of purchasing CCNA CertSim by Todd as well..Does anyone have any expierence with this? are the questions in the simulator the same difficulty as the exam?

What do you think of my plan? In your opinion I am on the road to success?

Thanks in advance :)
Now working full time!

Comments

• HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    12 views and noone can help me? icon_cry.gif
    Now working full time!
  • HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    seems that way with hardware in these forums. My instructor told me older stuff such as 2500 series routers and 1900 series are good for practice if on a budget. 3 routers 3 switches is good for practice in general.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What do you think of my plan? In your opinion I am on the road to success?
    Dude -- you got hardware! icon_cheers.gif If you are using it, and understanding what you are reading for the CCNA -- toss in a 2950 and you'll be ready to start on your CCNP (assuming you do well on the CCNA exam).

You should have something else besides Sybex -- to get a 2nd look at the material and fill in where Sybex may be lacking (NAT). See if there is a update available for download from Sybex for the book.

The Cisco Press Flash Cards may be a good addition -- plus it has reference pdf files on the CD which are good for review. If you look at that and scratch your head about something -- it may indicate Sybex missed the topic or skimmed over it.

Good Luck.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep the hardware setup sounds solid. The Boson netsim could help in the realm of frame relay... but with all those routers, perhaps you could rig something? (I remember a really good frame relay lab on this board somewhere... sorry that's all I remember)

I used two Cisco press books (ICND & INTRO), a CCNA Exam Cram, Boson Netsim, and a set of Boson practice questions.

I always use 2 different texts that cover the same material. It's never steered me wrong. In fact, it saves me time. If I'm really stumped on a particular topic, rather than dwell on it, I just make a note to pay particular attention in that subject when I read the other book. Often I find that it's quicker to read an alternative explination than it is to wrestle one that doesn't come easy. Then I go back to the original explination and see if it clicks.

That's just me though. I think it's pretty common knowledge that sometimes different things work for different people.

Good luck!