Options

"erase nvram" and "erase startup-config"

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
"Erase nvram" and "erase startup-config", do these two commands do exactly the same thing?

Do we have to issue any other commands to get rid of more things to re-configure a route?

Comments

• Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Erase nvram" and "erase startup-config", do these two commands do exactly the same thing?

Do we have to issue any other commands to get rid of more things to re-configure a route?

Yes, those two commands have the same result. The erase startup-config is the older method, erase nvram: is the newer, recommended command. At least according to Odom. I trust him. :D
  • Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can also do a
    wr erase
    reload

if you want options.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    To be honest I didn't even know about erase nvram and erase startup-config. I probably used them originally but now I always use "write erase" I don't know anyone who does otherwise.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    oli356 wrote: »
    To be honest I didn't even know about erase nvram and erase startup-config. I probably used them originally but now I always use "write erase" I don't know anyone who does otherwise.

Where did you learn "write erase". The command doesn't make sense to new learners like me, just like many other puzzling IOS commands.

I'm with Cisco Netacad. The chapter didn't mention "write erase" at all. Would Cisco expect us to know or use "write erase"?
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    write erase is old school.. in fact that command isnt even in NXOS so I wouldnt worry about it.

There are alot of old or even "hidden" commands in IOS..
  • Options
    It's not even supported in the exams as far as I remember.

It's the same as write instead of copy run start. I don't know anyone who does copy run start, we just do write. If you know about write, then write erase makes sense.

write isn't supported though in NX-OS. As far as I remember, they are old commands... though I much rather use them than the alternatives "wr" is much easier to type than "copy r s".

So my answer would be, no Cisco don't expect you to know this for exams.
    Lab:
  • Options
    longhorn79longhorn79 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL, all this drove me nuts. When I was learning to configure routers, switches, and ASA's the commands seem never consistant, or at least in my opinion. It can really get the mind going all over the place.
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Work in progress
    ICND2: depends on ICND1
    70-640 AD: if I have time
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    I always use delete nvram:startup-config and delete flash:vlan.dat...
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Both are same.
    wr erase will also give same result.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Christopher DobkowskiChristopher Dobkowski Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's just a stupid concept of Cisco about their exams. They want you to learn syntax that in real world many times is not in use...

Many of their commands that they force you to learn for the CCNA exam are uncomfortable and/or too long etc... I mean, why should you write:

write running-config startup-config

when you can just simply type

wr

...?
  • Options
    But you wouldn't write copy running-config startup-config -- you would do copy r s
    If you really want to write every letter than use the tab key :)
    Lab: