Taking BSCI

sgtcaseysgtcasey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, it's around 11:30pm and at 9am tomorrow I'll be sitting down to knock out the BSCI test. My only problem is I don't feel prepared for the test. If I wouldn't still end up paying for it, I would back out for a week more of study time.

I studied by only reading the CCNP BSCI Self-Study book.

At my job, I have access to numerous devices such as 6509's, 4507R's, 4000/5000/5500-series chassis switches and the occasional 3560/2950 switch.

Is there a website or any type of book available that could provide me with different scenarios to put together in the lab at work?

I have 24-hour access to the lab and have thought of spending some of my weekend there running through different things and basically just getting some hands on with OSPF, IS-IS, and maybe even BGP since I never see those used at my job.

Dave
Kinda grumpy at the thought of spending $125 to realize he needs to study more. icon_confused.gif
You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
US Army Signal Corps!

Comments

• opers13opers13 Member Posts: 100
    I failed the BSCI last week, I'm re-taking it tomorrow....Last week I felt just like u are feeling today....

Make sure you understand Redistribution.

opers13
  • EricOEricO Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to you. Let us know how you do.
  • sgtcaseysgtcasey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I failed the test. Those BGP and redistribution questions kicked my butt. I think I am going to take a few days away from studying or reading of any CCNP topics, then pick it back up and schedule the test in a couple weeks. I want to try and get some actual hands on time with this stuff in the lab here at work.

Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!
    well, IF I were you, I would jump right at it again and get it done Friday or Saturday.....The sims will be the same, you will see most of the same questions again.

In a couple of weeks it could be a totally different exam......

opers13
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sgtcasey wrote:
    Kinda grumpy at the thought of spending $125 to realize he needs to study more. icon_confused.gif
    No no no.... it was a recon. A recon under fire. Yeah -- that's it. :D

Now you have a better idea of what's on the exam. But double check the exam blueprint and be prepared for anything on it. Just because you didn't get nailed hard on a topic this time doesn't mean you won't next time.

The Cisco Press Practical Studies series is what I used for hands on study.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    Now you have a better idea of what's on the exam. But double check the exam blueprint and be prepared for anything on it. Just because you didn't get nailed hard on a topic this time doesn't mean you won't next time.

Thanks, I will check that book out. :)

Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!
    sgtcasey wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:

Thanks, I will check that book out. :)

Dave

Dave,

I just looked up that book on Amazon, I guess there are a lot of mistakes in the book. Apperantly there are 18 pages of erratas for it on ciscopress.com.

Did you find any mistakes?

opers13
    opers13 wrote:
    Dave,

I just looked up that book on Amazon, I guess there are a lot of mistakes in the book. Apperantly there are 18 pages of erratas for it on ciscopress.com.

Did you find any mistakes?

Yeah, I saw that mentioned on Amazon as well. I ordered the book anyway since my employer allows me to expense books which are work related.

The way I look at it is that if I have to try and figure something out that the book has incorrect, that will only help me learn a little better.

Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!
    Dave,

I'm with you man..

opers13
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sgtcasey wrote:
    The way I look at it is that if I have to try and figure something out that the book has incorrect, that will only help me learn a little better.
    Yeah, I read all the reviews of the Cisco Press books on Amazon before I even started my CCNA -- the quality on the Cisco Press books can be very uneven. And now that I own most of them I wouldn't disagree with most of the ratings on Amazon.

Its always a good idea to download the errata off of the Cisco Press web site. And yeah, being able to pick out additional errors or recognize the admitted errors is a good indication that you have/are learning the material.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Well, the Sybex book arrived and I like it's layout a little better than the Cisco BSCI book. Plus, the Sybex book goes over all of the tests, not just one of them. I'm giving myself one more day of non-study time and then getting back into it.

The Cisco practical book is on back order from the Cisco Press website. Hopefully that won't last long.

Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!