Any Tips for a newbie?

Aapatel2Aapatel2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I am taking the security+ exam this Thursday, the 11th. I have pretty much read the DG book cover to cover. I also made flash cards for all the ports and the acronyms in the back with short definitions. I am now doing as many practice questions as I can.

Anybody have any last minute advice??? I have absolutely no experience in this field. I just graduated college in December as a business major and all of this is pretty much new to me. Anything you all can tell me would be a lot of help!

thank you!

Comments

• bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you check out DG's video's on youtube? Also Professor messer has video's for this cert, I would hit up problem area's with his video's.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to find scenario questions. What you currently have going is great. Take a look over how forensics works and practice the access control terms.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't recommend this as an entry cert. It's a very expensive test and you've only studied from one book. If you don't pass, you're out $400. It's not going to open any doors for you unless you already work in IT and know someone who will allow you to work on the server. Looking back, I wish I had gone for a different cert. Maybe the A+ as a good entry cert.

What brings a business major to the IT community?
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @Aapatel2, Welcome to the forums and congratulations on completing your degree.

If you're doing practice questions at this point, the best advice I can give is to make sure you understand the full content of the questions. Ideally, you should know why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. That way no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to answer them correctly. Sometimes, when the question is worded just a little differently, a different answer is the correct one and if you don't understand the subtlety of the content, it can be more challenging.

Make sure you read up on the new performance based questions.

Good luck.
  • Aapatel2Aapatel2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the replies.

@bub9001 I have looked through a couple videos and i will definitely look at more. Thanks

@michael2 unfortunately I realized to late in college that business isn't exactly what I want to do. Also, considering how much I have all ready prepared for this exam, I am going to go ahead and go through with it. I really do appreciate you advice though.

@darril Thank you! I am going through the practice questions now and answering it as if I am trying to find the wrong answers now so hopefully that will help me to understand the material and questions more.

does anyone know how similar the questions would be in comparison to Darril's book? I have noticed that these questions are pretty different from the ones provided by others such at CompTIA.
    Aapatel2, that's the thing. The questions you encounter on the test will be nothing like the questions you find in any book. If that's what you're hoping for, I'm afraid it doesn't look good for you. The CompTIA tests are designed in a way that if you don't really understand the material, you can't pass. I just squeaked by on that test and that's probably because I took a class in Information Security when I was in college. I'm speaking from personal experience. All the definitions were totally different.
    I mean similar in terms of format not content. Like will the questions be as easy to understand not will they be easy to answer.
    Today's the day. I hope you had an opportunity to read up on performance based questions before you went in so they don't surprise you. If you understand the content, I'm sure you'll do great and I look forward to your post saying "I passed."

Good luck.
    I would be interested to know if the OP passed the exam. Four months seems like an awfully short period of time to study, especially considering the lack of formal education and the level of difficulty of the exam.
    Hey guys,

i went out of town right after my exam so i didn't get a chance to reply but I did pass my exam! The exam was tough, as I completely expected. I appreciate everyone's help with this!
    Good going, man!
    Thanks, man! means a lot!
    Congratulations on the pass. Good luck with your next adventure.
  • jayhawk0624jayhawk0624 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Michael2 wrote: »
    I would be interested to know if the OP passed the exam. Four months seems like an awfully short period of time to study, especially considering the lack of formal education and the level of difficulty of the exam.

Why are you so negative? I've heard of people passing the exam after only studying for a month.
    I've heard of people passing the exam after only studying for a month.

I have even heard of people passing the test on a Monday after reading a book over the weekend. Of course, they started with a good foundation of knowledge typically with many years of on-the-job experience.

Realistically, most people that have passed the Network+ (or at least have Network+ knowledge) can take and pass the Security+ within 30 to 45 days of dedicated study. It's within reach of most people that are interested in IT after simply setting a goal to do so and spending time pursuing the goal.