Page 215 Question 18.

movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just correct me if I am wrong here. The question says You want to identify the physical location of a rogue access point you discovered in the footprint of your company. What would you use?

A. Bluesnarfing
B. Bluejacking
C. War Chalking
D. War Driving

The answer key says D. But The question is asking to identify the location. War Chalking is what identifies it. This is a Typo right?
Security+

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Please indicate the text and versions you have found this in so others may comment. Also, check the author.
    /publisher errata if there was a correction made your printed text won't have been updated, but electronic versions will have the change and for text users a reference place to report and/or make note of corrected errors.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ClevernamehereClevernamehere Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, war chalking would be a way to mark the type of node that you found instead of being the way to find it. War driving is the technique you would use to locate the rogue access point.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Clevernamehere (clever:)) is on target. War chalking marks the type of access point and war driving is a technique that can be used to locate a rogue access point.

While attackers often use war driving techniques to locate access points, administrators can use the same techniques to locate rogue access points. Also, just as attackers can use directional antennas to get a stronger signal strength from the access point, administrators can use directional antennas to identify the location of the access point based on the signal strength.

Another key term in this question is "rogue access point" which is an unauthorized access point within an organization. These are considered malicious because they can broadcast internal network traffic out of the organization allowing an attacker to collect the data from a remote location. If a rogue access point is discovered it would be disconnected immediately. An administrator would not leave it as is, and certainly would not advertise its location with a public war chalk mark.

Hope this helps.
  • movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Please indicate the text and versions you have found this in so others may comment. Also, check the author.
    /publisher errata if there was a correction made your printed text won't have been updated, but electronic versions will have the change and for text users a reference place to report and/or make note of corrected errors.

Author is Darril Gipson Copy right 2011
    ISBN:1463762364
    ISBN-13: 9781463762360
    Security+
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The key here is the phrase "physical location of a rogue access point," not that it's "in the office." The word "identify" implies that you don't know exactly where it is. War driving is the method for locating a rogue access point.