When do you "arrive"... or do you?

f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm getting to a point in my career/certifications that I think that I might be done for awhile. Once I get my CISSP, I have nothing left on my list that I really want. I will take that time to focus/learn and just in general keep up-to-date on the latest and greatest. I'll take courses on things that might not have certifications but are interesting and pertain to my job.

Sure, I will continually keep my certs active. I'll get another Cisco cert every couple years to keep it fresh and valid. I'll continually acquire the required CPE credits for CISSP. But after the CISSP, I'm going to get my MBA and call it done. (at least I think)

Anyone out there see a light at the end of the tunnel, or do you plan to continuously keep the turbo button pushed your entire career? Everyone has their own goals and definitions of "success". I'm curious, where do you draw the line? When you will "arrive"? What is your ultimate end-all-be-all goal?

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I'm going CISSP, CCNP, CISA , CISM, PMP , GIAC , M.Sc then i'm done.

The majority are renewable through AMF and CPE which I think is the gold standard. Of course Cisco isn't but I don't think it'll be too difficult to renew with one of the exams to keep it fresh.

The CISSP, CISA, CISM ONLY because it seems to be the trifecta when it comes to security postings. Many sr engineer positions ask for one of the three, but what if you have all three. Yes, yes, then things get interesting. If I didn't see CISA and CISM so much, I would have been content with just the CISSP.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I hope to continue on my track for as long as I can since I am still young. I hope to go CCNP/CCDA/CCDP and hopefully CCIE.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always tell people that I miss that "I've arrived" feeling, and it's both a blessing and a curse. It makes me continuously thrive to be better, but also stops me from enjoying the small successes I do have along the way..my battle is slowing down to enjoy what I do have. In short, I'll never arrive..but I am trying to enjoy the journey.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Reminded of the following quote:“For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin – real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.”

There will always be just one more certificate to be had, just one more test to take... Then it becomes just one more promotion, just another 10 grand added to your paycheck before you'll be content. No better time to be happy and content than right now- the truth is, you've already arrived.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ideally, I'd like to get 7 more (3 more VCAPs, 3 VCDX & PMP). Only really need 2 of them, VCDX & PMP, for me to consider myself done. Should get the 2 I need sometime next year.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I'm getting to a point in my career/certifications that I think that I might be done for awhile. Once I get my CISSP, I have nothing left on my list that I really want. I will take that time to focus/learn and just in general keep up-to-date on the latest and greatest. I'll take courses on things that might not have certifications but are interesting and pertain to my job.

Sure, I will continually keep my certs active. I'll get another Cisco cert every couple years to keep it fresh and valid. I'll continually acquire the required CPE credits for CISSP. But after the CISSP, I'm going to get my MBA and call it done. (at least I think)

Anyone out there see a light at the end of the tunnel, or do you plan to continuously keep the turbo button pushed your entire career? Everyone has their own goals and definitions of "success". I'm curious, where do you draw the line? When you will "arrive"? What is your ultimate end-all-be-all goal?
    Hrmmmm. Good question.

I think once I've obtained ISSAP, GCIH, CEH, CIPM, CBCP, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CCNA, CCNA+Security, CCNP+Security, I might consider taking a break.

Degreewise, still have 3/8th of a MBA to complete. Once that is done, see if I can convince my wife to support me on a second masters in information assurance. Otherwise, I'm done there.

Then I dunno. Become a IT Director/Sr. Director/VP somewhere, though I like my current job - it has good work life balance and salary, so I can't complain.

Maybe go for a CCIE:Security or PhD long term. I have yet to figure out my second job of financial investing. It's on my to-do list.

I think I'm motivated more now that I'm married and have a kid. I would be perfectly fine with making more (and honestly, I'm pretty happy with what I get now), though sadly I'll never make more than my wife unless I became a VP of a large corporation (aka she's in the medical field).

Heh, your "turbo button" reminded me of Wreck It Ralph. "You're not going turbo, are you?"
    And when I say support me, I don't mean financially. I mean the other kind of support... aka giving up date nights, etc. for my studies.

Gotta have the wife's buy-in first. :)
    bryguy wrote: »
    No better time to be happy and content than right now- the truth is, you've already arrived.
    I'm cool with this too. Even though I'm looking to get new certs, I'm already quite satisfied and happy with my life, my career, and my family.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    “.... At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.”
    .....No better time to be happy and content than right now
    Maybe it's because I'm middle-aged, but this post really was a nice reminder. It really is about the journey and not the destination.

@op - it was interesting that you thought to end with the CISSP. For me, the first cert I ever did was the CISSP. And that was a beginning for me.

@GoodBishop - maybe once you reach that VP level, you may find youself wishing to be challenged to do more or something else. Why not - C-suite or start a business. icon_wink.gif

For me, I started to sit for certifications for a host of reasons. But I like them so I don't plan to stop. I also am happy where I am in my career but I know I can do more, so I will continue to raise to that next level, whatever that is....:)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll stop when I'm in a field or at a point at which certs provide no marginal value. That doesn't mean I'll stop learning or studying, just that I'll stop with certs. I've got everything my employer isn't asking for on hold while I'm in school, but I'll jump back in when I'm done, maybe before I'm done.

I agree with it being about the journey, rather than the destination. It's okay to have long-term goals, but it's even better to keep making new ones as you reach or even approach what you already have. I do think there's a case for slowing down as you get older, but never stopping, no until you retire, at least.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ PT

Just a side off comment - You are almost already there. You knock out the Computer Science degree I would consider you done.

Of course you may have another view, but I just can't see you having all those awesome certifications with great experience and then a nice CS degree needing that much more. Call me crazy, but that's just my thoughts.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    +1 @bryguy: great responseI don't think new Certifications will add a lot of value for me, but I like learning news things and I do it for fun.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I always tell people that I miss that "I've arrived" feeling, and it's both a blessing and a curse. It makes me continuously thrive to be better, but also stops me from enjoying the small successes I do have along the way..my battle is slowing down to enjoy what I do have. In short, I'll never arrive..but I am trying to enjoy the journey.

Absolutely love that quote. That's life right there
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ PT

Just a side off comment - You are almost already there. You knock out the Computer Science degree I would consider you done.
    Thanks Patrick. Too bad I have two and a half years left. I'm still planning on getting a couple certs (CISSP at least) in there and going for my M.S. But I'll keep going after that, whether it's more certs or more education or just keeping current. I love this stuff too much to stop, and as Mrock4 said, I want to just keep enjoying the journey.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's quite interesting to see the different philosophies. I agree with all that say that it's about the journey. One interesting thing that got me by surprise was "truth is, you've already arrived". That made me think about it a little harder.

One thing I meant to say is that I'm not stopping continuing education, NEVAH!! :) I'm just not going to push so hardcore for more certifications. I'm thinking I'll take some leadership/management seminars, learn how to program in python, blah blah blah. Things that I've always wanted to do but never saw an immediate benefit to, except that it "would be nice".

Being 26, married and kids on the horizon (few years) my end goal has always been to be able to provide a stable income in a great job for my family. I figure once I finish the CISSP & MBA I'll be sitting pretty good for awhile. Any other certifications I would do because they are fun and not out of necessity (C|EH, OSCP, etc...).

I guess what I meant is that after the CISSP & MBA I will be transitioning to the next stage in my career. Instead of wondering "what's the next certification I can get behind my name", I'll be thinking more of "what's fun to me?". Up until now I've been holding down the turbo button, how fast can i get to my end-goal? Well, I've realized that I just need to enjoy the ride from here on. By taking that and applying it, it actually makes me feel a lot less stress. I set my own goals for myself and by stating "you don't have to be running at 110% all the time" I don't feel bad about taking a night off to start up a new hobby, or whatever.

Thanks for the insight to all your philosophies on continuing education, certifications, and life in general.
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    I have never placed a lot of stock in vendor certifications, as they are subject to market forces, become obsolete quickly, etc. (How much demand is there for Novel CNE's these days, to name one that used to be viewed as highly desirable).

I view professional designations as being inherently different due to their focus on theory, knowledge and real-world experience and the requirement for ongoing professional development (CPEs) in order to maintain them. I really don't know if having the CISSP, CISM and CISA represents the end-game, per se.

I honestly feel that the day I stop learning and growing is when I become metabolically challenged (dead).
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Reminded of the following quote:“For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin – real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.”

that's me prior to the "it dawned on me" part..... where is that from?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    badrottie wrote: »
    (How much demand is there for Novel CNE's these days, to name one that used to be viewed as highly desirable).

I still have some freebee, Novell T-shirt I got after doing the Certified Netware Engineer....I totally thought I had arrived :)
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    Opinions on "arriving" varies, but I think once you got the job that gives you some financial stability for your family you have arrived.

Once you reach the level that your salary gives you a comfortable living arrangement, you are doing very well. I will always stay on top of new technology and certs, but for now I am in good shape.

J
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say never. There will always be someone that has one more cert then you, or have done one more thing then you. Just enjoy the Journey, that is the best part. IMHO
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA