RHCE hurdles

ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I don't post often but I do read a lot of the forums. I recently took the RHCE and failed by 50 points. I think I configured the services properly but can't be sure. What I do know is I didn't configure the firewall so I think this may be where I fell short. Does anyone know if partial credit is given or if its an all or nothing deal?

Also looking for a good book on bash scripting. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.

Comments

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Sorry to hear that you failed. I can't help you with the credits question, but regarding a good bash book, go for the Sobell's title. Great authoritative, no-filler-pages guide that explains a lot through examples of use of commands and tools. A downside of that title is no chapters on network- related tools.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Here is a freebie on bash scripting:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf

Thanks for the PDF! This will help me with my bash scripting.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I think that, if you configure a service (such as ftp) and the firewall rule is incorrect and the service is unreachable, then you don't get any points I think.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    +1
    log32 wrote: »
    I think that, if you configure a service (such as ftp) and the firewall rule is incorrect and the service is unreachable, then you don't get any points I think.

According to Red Hat, they test the functionality of the service. For example, if you are asked to configure FTP service to work from Network A , then they will try to use the service from Network A, if it works you get the points, otherwise you don't. In the exam, the best way is to test by actually trying to use the service that's configured. You can block traffic using TCP wrappers or firewall, just make sure to test and verify that the service is reachable, the blocked network is blocked, and that the service configuration persists across reboots.

Don't feel bad, it's not an easy exam. Go through the topics again, and give it another shot.

For Bash scripting, I recommend this book:
    Linux Shell Scripting with Bash: Ken O. Burtch: 9780672326424: Amazon.com: Books
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys, especially the resources for bash. Also for the thoughts on the exam log32 and Unixguy, I think the nerves just clouded my brain a bit during the exam but I will be sure to keep your suggestion in mind next time around.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.