Course Book to purchase?

PeterHandsPeterHands Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Hi all,

Im now studying for my Security+ exam and I have the CBT [SIZE=-1]N[/SIZE]uggets course. However Im also looking to purchase a book with those simulations also.

I hear alot about D.Gibson, but has anyone looked at this:

"CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: Exam SY0-301"

Dulaney, Emmett[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks
Peter
ISC2 CISSP, EC-Council CEH, CompTia Security+

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums. I realize you've been lurking for a while but I didn't want to see your first post go unanswered.

I don't have any information on that book so can't help there. However, once you start digging into the objectives, feel free to post any questions about the exam here. There are a lot of helpful people more than willing to give friendly, thoughtful advice.

Good luck.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Darril Gibson's book is a great read. Theres a bunch of real world examples that make you think deeply about the topics. I highly recommend it.
    For me right now, it is an easy read that flows, but I do have networking and general IT experience.
    Do you have any light experience or have done your Network+?

Also, with Darril's book, I do not think you need CBT Nuggets. I have them, but I find Michael Shannon too monotone and boring. I used him for my N+ and hated it even though the info was great. Its the older version of Sec+ with a couple new videos to catch you up to the latest exam version.(idk how you feel about it).

Professor Messer is a great and valuable resource. I've used his free videos for my A+ and N+. His videos on each topic are short and sweet. compared to 40mins-1hour of CBT.

If you can get your hands on the LATEST TrainSignal videos for Sec+, get it. Its by this chick Lisa. I like her voice, but then again its the total opposite of old man if you know what I mean. Check out this video of her explaining one of the much harder topics. Maybe you'll like it for a change.
    Overview of PKI Concepts
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    I recommend reading D.Gibson's Security+ book and watch all the Professor Messer Security+ videos after you have read the book as a good refresher.
    The videos doesn't go that deep in details as the book, but they are very good material which is used by a lot of users on these forums and the book has a lot of practice questions as well.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can check out this site. Its the site that I have suggested to some.
    Comptia Security+ Certification Exam - Proprofs
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently going through Darril's Security+, Get Certified, Get Ahead book and I highly recommend it. It may go a little over the top, but it keeps my interest.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darril's book helped me pass the exam.