Job being a ...

jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good Morning,
I am scheduled to pass my CCENT in may. The delima I am having is I currently work in a data center, and they will not sponsor my certification, I am on my "first and final" write up for spelling errors here at work (had 7 spelling errors in march). I told my boss that I am scheduled to take that test, they approached me saying when I pass they will want the certification information, I asked is this going to get me a raise and they said no. So whats the point of giving it to them in your guys opinion?

John

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Getting a write up for spelling errors is pretty lame, but why not just use spell check?

As far as giving them info, why not?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They may be tracking all of the certs there employees have just to get an idea of the available skill set. I don't know if Cisco has any partner programs that require a certain # of employees to be certified.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm curious as to what kind of job you have in which they track your spelling errors.
  • NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    jschreck,

My advice would start putting your resume out. If you were written up for spelling errors then you should take it as a sign they want you gone. In addition, even if they don't want you to leave, then it is a bad job. Period.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what kind of job you have in which they track your spelling errors.

I'm curious as well. Data center and quality in typing?
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jschreck wrote: »
    Good Morning,
    I am scheduled to pass my CCENT in may. The delima I am having is I currently work in a data center, and they will not sponsor my certification, I am on my "first and final" write up for spelling errors here at work (had 7 spelling errors in march). I told my boss that I am scheduled to take that test, they approached me saying when I pass they will want the certification information, I asked is this going to get me a raise and they said no. So whats the point of giving it to them in your guys opinion?

John

I can only think of a reason why upper management would want you certified is for compliance of asset management. When I used to work for IBM, they wanted us to be A+ and Server+ within 45 days and then IBM certified with 6 months. No one was going to get a raise, but they just wanted everyone on the same page from a compliance stand point.

If they are giving you a write up for spelling errors, that is a sign you need to find work elsewhere. Get your CCENT and go apply to Rackspace.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Cisco gives discounts to companies with x amount of certified people.Maybe something like that?And +1 for finding a new job.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did we slip into a wormhole and end up in a parallel universe where people face disciplinary actions over spelling?

I just assume spelling and grammar is expected in a professional work environment. I also just assume it is common courtesy to at least spell properly in company documents and even support tickets, nothing irritates me more than reading a ticket that looks like the tech typed it with his forehead.

Keeping track of spelling errors, well that would just make me want to heavily restrict what I type to 2-4 word phrases......
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've worked some where where we were QAed and spelling mistakes were counted in tickets. That said we were also allowed to use short hand and acronyms. So most of the tickets were unreadable unless you were familiar with everything.

I would start looking else where...
  • jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys. Also I work on support type desk, the spelling errors have been in active directory type enviroment, provisioning a user or something in that nature, not exactly spell check able. I also agree, definiantly time to get out and put some application.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WOW! "spelling errors"

Just make the best of it and continue to seek employment elsewhere.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Note to self: do not get a job in Idaho....spelling errors seriously?!??! Lame
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Note to self: do not get a job in Idaho....spelling errors seriously?!??! Lame

Its not all that bad here :)
  • unxpurg8dunxpurg8d Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay, in defense of the company it's darned annoying when someone's jacked up provisioning an account because they spelled the person's name wrong. That being said, I find spelling errors all the time in AD and pretty sure nobody's being fired over it around here although I'd definitely like to hunt the people down and poke them with a keyboard. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is that a way for them to get some sort of Cisco competencies ?

If so, its quite sneaky ... Anyway - given they make such a big deal about spelling errors, I would go for the exam, don't mention anything, update your resume and leave ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    jschreck wrote: »
    Good Morning,

John

Firstly, a "first and final" write up over spelling errors is, well, I'm speechless.
    Secondly, if they want your certification information once you have paid for it with your own money (and if it was not part of your initial hiring agreement), is really showing some nerve on their part.
    Finally, start looking for employment elsewhere. Getting your CCENT will help in landing a new job in a better and less hostile environment.