Options

Mib/oid

nangananga Member Posts: 201
Hi Guys, Can you please help me with understanding how a MIB/OID works. I tried understanding the stuff on the internet , understood MIB...but with OIDs i am completely confused.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    They are object identifiers and you will most likely run into them while using SNMP to poll information from devices.

For instance, if an SNMP trap is sent frmo a device, let's say it hits your monitoring conole but your monitoring software doesn't have an OID for it, you will see "SNMP Trap 1.3.6.1.4.1.522"

Now what you can do is google for device OIDs and add them and when a trap is received the OID will be found and it will now provide you will readable information like "Cisco Aironet"

MIB's are basically a large selection of OID's for devices. You can download MIBs for almost any device, i.e. Dell Equallogic, Cisco Aironet Access Points

Both of which I have had to download in the past in order to properly read and understand the traps.

Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Couldn't explain it any better
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Just got this on my monitoring dashboard, I obviously do not have a MIB for this router

Using the online OID tracker, it relates to

Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?