About to take the test on the 2nd.

URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
OK folks, I have been lurking on the boards for a bit and just registered. I have been trying to get this exam taken for a while now, but have been waiting on a voucher from my office. I have been working with the DoD for about 9 years now and have done various levels of security, although nowhere near as in depth as is required by the CISSP. I have taken two college courses through my University (E-Security I and II) which used the AIO 5th edition book, as well as a 5 day course locally for CISSP prep. Now, I finally got my office to issue me a voucher. Over the last two weeks, I have been reading through the exam cram 3rd edition. After completing a domain, I would complete the questions at the end of the chapter. Then I would take the 6th edition of the Shon Harris AIO and answer those questions. After reviewing what I missed, I would then skim through the chapter in the Harris book.Now, about 4 days out, I have purchased the transcender practice exam suite. I figured the pass guarantee made that a worthwhile purchase. I have to say, the questions in the transcender seem far more challenging than the exam cram and Harris books. I have found my week areas to be software development security (namely remembering specific steps in the various processes where things occur), security architecture and design (Damn TCB!), and finally physical security which I am actually doing much better on now thanks to the transcender product.My exam is scheduled for the 2nd. I have to say thanks for those who post their experiences here. This has helped to shape how I planned to proceed for my final areas of study. I will let everyone know how I do. That said, the transcender exams definitely opened my eyes up to areas I needed to focus, and how critical it is to analyze the question and determine just what is being asked, and what domain you are in. I can't tell you how many times something as simple as an IDS and the term COMPONENT or COMPLEMENTS can change the intended answer. I am now double and triple reading the question AND answers, and am ensuring that what I select is what I wanted to select. I can't tell you how many times I have deduced an answer and then selected those answers I just deduced as wrong as the right answer, because I got caught up in their identification.Thanks again to all! Wish me luck!
MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on the 2nd! Sounds like you are ready for it
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wishing you the best of luck from a former DoD guy who passed and left DoD 8570.01m in the DUST. It sounds like you have all of your ducks in a row to pass the test. Good luck and let the rest of us know how you fared.
  • URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That was the LONGEST exam ever. But, I can the block. CISSP Complete!

And, on a positive note, my CISSP exam proctor was wearing an Aperture Labs shirt! :)

And yes, the transcender suite made the difference. A lot of what is in there was hit upon and helped re-enforce concepts I didn't realize I was weak on. I recommend it to anyone!

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    And, on a positive note, my CISSP exam proctor was wearing an Aperture Labs shirt! :)
    "We do what we must because we can!"
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Congrats... icon_cheers.gif...
    Question for everyone, how long does the endorsement process take, on average? I know the ISC2 standard answer, but I wanted to see what real world showed with the advent of computerized testing, etc.

• ssehgssehg Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ISC2 says 6 weeks for endorsement but mine took 2 weeks and a day.
  • Jake007Jake007 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mine took 2 weeks exactly....
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on your pass!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. My endorsement took just past 2 weeks.
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Three weeks, one day
  • airbenairben Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the questions in the transcender seem far more challenging than the exam cram and Harris books.
    I'm scoring mid 80s on Transcender 250 question exams but I'm still nervous about taking the actual exam cause I'm not sure I'm ready yet. I've been pondering the idea of a bootcamp but I'm on the fence with that as well. Ugh.
    I was scoring between 75-80% on the transcender. The good part about the transcender is they provide references for each question which gives you areas to read/study for questions you miss. It also helped me to identify my weak areas (Software devel, security models and architecture, and physical security). By the last test, I was in the 90s on physical security and architecture, but i was still a tad weak on the software side.

I still highly recommend the transcender product as I feel I would not have passed without it.

• salee_msalee_m Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just let me know after you find the weak are which material you used to study ?

AIO 5th or Eric ?

because I see transcender is suggesting AIO
    Honestly, I used the Exam Cram 3rd edition, pretty much exclusively. I did skim the AIO, but I really only used it for the questions at the end of the chapter. I would read the exam cram chapter, do the questions, attempt the questions at the end of the associated AIO chapter, and then skim the areas I missed from the AIO questions.

In the end, I feel that the AIO would best complement the transcender since it directly references the book pages, although it uses the fifth edition and not the sixth.

Last step of the process submitted today! My endorser has submitted my endorsement packet today. Now for the waiting game!

• saabinsaabin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my endoresement email on the 1st of April. How long does it take to get the actual certificate in the mail?

P.S. My endoresment took exactly 2 weeks.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    saabin wrote: »
    Got my endoresement email on the 1st of April. How long does it take to get the actual certificate in the mail?

P.S. My endoresment took exactly 2 weeks.

The certificate took me 6 weeks to arrive.

I hope it takes less for you.
    Congratulations! It gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) designation!

Based upon your examination results, a review of your application and acceptance of your endorsement, the (ISC)2 Board of Directors award you with the CISSP Certification.

And that is that! What a journey!

• f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome :D Congratulations