partprobe will NOT work..how will i pass this RHCSA exam with this?

uberwebguruuberwebguru Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am days before the RHCSA exam and i have noticed i still haven't been able to successfully run partprobe successfully after months on testing and testing and testing..not a single time

i have tried

partprobe

partprobe /dev/sdx where sdx is drive name

it never works i get warning the kernel failed to re-read the partititon table on /dev/sdx (device or resource busy) as a result it may not reflect all of your changes until after reboot

What do i do?

yes parted is installed

Comments

• thegreenlaanternthegreenlaantern Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Partprobe never worked for me, reboot will find and set up your new drive. Sometimes a reboot will give you a few minutes to think about your next step.
  • jcadarshjcadarsh Banned Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why are you doing the partprobe for the RHCSA anyway ?

I have done the exam and train students for this exam as well. I seem to miss the point
  • thegreenlaanternthegreenlaantern Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Under the RHCSA objectives at: Red Hat | Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) Exam objectives (EX200)

Configure local storage
    • List, create, delete, and set partition type for primary, extended, and logical partitions.
    • Create and remove physical volumes, assign physical volumes to volume groups, and create and delete logical volumes.
    • Create and configure LUKS-encrypted partitions and logical volumes to prompt for password and mount a decrypted file system at boot.
    • Configure systems to mount file systems at boot by Universally Unique ID (UUID) or label.
    • Add new partitions and logical volumes, and swap to a system non-destructively.
  • uberwebguruuberwebguru Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jcadarsh wrote: »
    Why are you doing the partprobe for the RHCSA anyway ?

I have done the exam and train students for this exam as well. I seem to miss the point

so i don't have to reboot? partprobe helps to discover the newly created partition without having to reboot
    Partprobe never worked for me, reboot will find and set up your new drive. Sometimes a reboot will give you a few minutes to think about your next step.

thats the thing why can't i avoid reboot? reboot can eat out of my precious time for the exam and especially when i don't want something messed up or the the unforseen happening

i mean why is the partprobe command created then? if it doesn't freaking work or at least when its not consistent? I see videos where it works and i get so annoyed when it never worked for me
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It sounds like you still have a file system mounted somewhere on that disk as parted 2.1 will fail on any partitions still in use from a file system. Make sure you are running it on a disk that has all file systems on that disk dismounted.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote: »
    It sounds like you still have a file system mounted somewhere on that disk as parted 2.1 will fail on any partitions still in use from a file system. Make sure you are running it on a disk that has all file systems on that disk dismounted.

Not sure what you mean...but lets say i have one sda disk and have 7 partitions(primary and logical) and afetr creating the 7th partition i want to run partprobe...so what do i do? unmount all the other 6 partitions? before runningpartprobe?

Not sure what you mean...will appreciate it if you can give a little more details

thanks
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Read through this as it can explain things better than I would: https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/57542
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/