Options

Don't know whether or not to go after Security+ or CCNA Security

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
I understand that Security+ is vendor neutral and CCNA Security is more vendor specific, so does that mean I should just do both to get a more well rounded introduction?
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suppose that depends on your level of knowledge going in. I think a Security+ level of understanding would really help you in your CCNA: Sec studies. They cover a lot of the same topics at different levels.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It should depend more on what you want to do. CCNA Security is pretty focused on configuring network equipment for security. I don't see it being a logical choice for many different security positions nor as an introduction to security concepts.

If you're looking for an introduction to security topics, Sec+ is perfect. It's definitely entry-level and almost entirely theory, but it's useful material. CCNA Security is much more about applying those concepts.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    nicktornettanicktornetta Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    easy answer.. both.

i feel like similar certs from multiple cert organizations, particularly if the vendor neutral ones are included, make it look like you actually know about the subject and not just the exam.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was definitely leaning towards both
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do this:

1) Check out the free videos at professormesser.com. Get the Gibson book. Pass your Security+ exam.
    2) Study for your CCNA Security exam. Get the Cisco Network Academy Student Lab Manual v1.1. Pass your CCNA Security exam.

All done!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dumb question - Do you have a CCENT or CCNA to do the CCNA:Sec exam? I agree with the others that a Sec+ would give you a more rounded understanding of security which would be good to know when starting the CCNA:Sec.