MSISE from Sans Technology Institute

jcadarshjcadarsh Banned Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I have been looking the syllabus and the work required for the MSISE program from SANS.

I wanted to know if anyone of you guys is doing it. And / or an opinion about it.

It costs a total of 45000 dollars and has to be completed in 5 years. Completely online and can be done from anywhere.

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over priced and don't think the ROI is there.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • jcadarshjcadarsh Banned Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually I have a plan for that. There are a total of 7 certifications. All of them happen in India. If i get the workstudy for all of them in the next 5 years !! Its going to be at a cost of 15000 dollars.

But still if there is no value then maybe ill do just the 500 and 600 level stuff slowly and on my terms and let it go !!

There is no commitment initially so I amg ree to leave whenever I want !
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BTW - Another thing that you may want to consider is that SANS is private for-profit organization which has not yet gained accreditation. Looks like SANS has been a candidate for accreditation since 2010.

You can find their status here: https://www.msche.org/documents/sas/595/Statement%20of%20Accreditation%20Status.htm
  • jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If youre going to spend that much money just go get a doctorate, about the same price and will give you much more value in the long run than an unaccredited Masters degree.
    paul78 wrote: »
    BTW - Another thing that you may want to consider is that SANS is private for-profit organization which has not yet gained accreditation. Looks like SANS has been a candidate for accreditation since 2010.

You can find their status here: https://www.msche.org/documents/sas/595/Statement%20of%20Accreditation%20Status.htm

To be fair to SANS, it does take a lot longer than three years to get accredited. While it varies per regional body, some bodies will take up to 10 years to certify a college/university. With that said, there is no guarantee of accreditation, but hell if some of these shady for profits that make Phoenix look like Harvard can get regionally accredited, SANS can too.
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    jfitzg --

Speaking as one who was interested in this topic and had zero idea how long the accreditation process took, that was an informative post.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jfitzg wrote: »
    To be fair to SANS, it does take a lot longer than three years to get accredited. While it varies per regional body, some bodies will take up to 10 years to certify a college/university. With that said, there is no guarantee of accreditation, but hell if some of these shady for profits that make Phoenix look like Harvard can get regionally accredited, SANS can too.

I'd also like to point out that while the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accreditation is not yet in place, the SANS name garners a certain amount of trust in Information Assurance. I think SANS is a rare example of entertaining the idea of enrolling despite it's current status with the HLC.

Have there been any TE'ers who enrolled and posted about their experiences?
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The question I have is: what are your end goal(s) for which attaining the MSISE serves? If it's employment, does having this under your name really increase your odds in that respect?
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    YFZblu wrote: »
    I'd also like to point out that while the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accreditation is not yet in place, the SANS name garners a certain amount of trust in Information Assurance. I think SANS is a rare example of entertaining the idea of enrolling despite it's current status with the HLC.

Have there been any TE'ers who enrolled and posted about their experiences?

While the name may garner a certain level of trust in IA, there is no guarantee that the degree will be comprehensive nor difficult. Also keep this in mind, while most InfoSec people know what SANS is, most HR/recruiters do not. If any HR person or recruiter bothers to research the "college" and finds that it is unaccredited, they will toss the resume in the trash before it can make it to the hiring manager. While this is unlikely, it certainly is possible.