Options

Which is better for continuing an IT career: Post 9-11 or GI Bill?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I should have asked this question before joining the Army, however a few months ago I've decided that I'm only going to do the 4 years on my Active Duty US Army contract and get out. So I have about 1 1/2 left as of right now.

However I'm starting to look at my benefits and know that I signed up for the GI Bill. I am starting to wonder which one will be better to continue my education in IT.

I'm only looking getting certs, like SANS, CCNA and/or OSCP, maybe going to a Bootcamp and/or SANS training and there is a slight chance of maybe taking class at say a community college.

SO...I'm wondering which one will be better for my needs.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Well you already have a Masters but I still think the Post 9/11 is the sweetest deal since you get BAH.

What are the limitations of post 9/11? Will they not pay for bootcamps? I thought they did and you just got partial BAH. If not, can you use it for graduate certificates?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Post 9/11 is by far better imo. Not 100% positive, but pretty sure you can use it for bootcamps. The amount of different training you can use it for is pretty vast.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
  • Options
    JKB123JKB123 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can absolutely use the 9/11 GI Bill for bootcamps as long as the training organization is "approved" by the VA. I am working with a company called LeaderQuest and they have all of the information on how to do it. I'm sure if you start contacting training organizations in your area they would be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    But that still is JUST for reimbursements right, I do not think that they pay up front...... This a question still :)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    JKB123JKB123 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They will pay up front for the training courses like bootcamps but they reimburse for the passed exams. Most people I know will use the BAH to front the exam fees so they don't have to come "out of pocket" for those costs.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is the process to pay for the bootcamps, do you have to use vonapp or some other method. Sorry for the questions, I really want to get this thing nailed down. Then I can get cracking on some good stuff!

It doesn't matter how much or little info you have/ are willing to give up; I will take whatever your got.

Thanks!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!