Alternative to VMware VDP or what’s good for VMware backup?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Does anyone have any recommendations for a backup alternative to VDP? I tried deploying the VDP appliance on our HA cluster and even VMWare doesn’t know what’s wrong. DNS is resolving on the VDP, the vCenter, and on the DNS server, but I can’t get past the initial setup from the web interface. It’s been passed up the Dev so I don’t know when/if it will get resolved.

We have a small cluster 4 IBM blades in a Bladecenter H. 20 to 30 VM’s and I don’t expect that to go over 50 by the end of the year. To backup on, I have an IBM x3550 m3 with 2 TB of space. I had deployed an ESXi box on it so if can run from a VM appliance that would be great. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Veeam is pretty much the best out there. Although one of their sales reps left a nasty taste in my mouth before I even bought the product.

Alternatives:

vRanger
    AppAssure
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Check out Veeam.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have an IP address pool setup for vDP?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Thanks guys I'll be sure to check those out.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    dave330i wrote: »
    Do you have an IP address pool setup for vDP?

No we don't, but I'd set one up if you think it would help. BTW, were running vCenter on a workgroup in W2k8R2 and BIND on SLES for our DNS.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    No we don't, but I'd set one up if you think it would help. BTW, were running vCenter on a workgroup in W2k8R2 and BIND on SLES for our DNS.

For vDP, you need IP address pool setup (don't enable it). For vDR, you don't need an IP address pool. Go to Datacenter > IP pools > add.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We use commvault at my work, and we've got about 600 VMs on about 60 hosts.