Just passed the 70-686, what cert to go after next?

-hype-hype Member Posts: 165
So I am now a MCITP:EA.

Should I finally go after the CCNA? Or continue down the Microsoft path: Server 2008 certs?

My goal is to attract the most attention to my resume: make my self more marketable to potential employers, so I am leaning towards the CCNA. Especially since it will be a change of pace, kind of getting burned out learning about the vast world of Microsoft!

Things to keep in mind:

Finishing up associates in network engineering, expected graduation: May, 2013.

Plan to enroll at Western Governor's University in Fall 2013 or Spring 2014.

Current Position: Help Desk 2 / Desktop End User Support.

My short term goal is to be a Systems/Network Admin. (1-3 yrs)

Long term goal is to be a Virtualization/Network Architect. (4-6 yrs)

What are your thoughts or suggestions?
WGU BS IT:Network Administration
Started: 10-1-13
Completed: 9-21-14
Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome work! Great set of credentials you have there.

You should be set to land a sweet job with the EA and the rest of your certications/experience. I'd go for SA positions right now.
  • -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    I'd love a sys admin position.

But I just now accepted the Help Desk 2 Position, this week. Gonna get some experience on my belt, then apply for a sys admin position within a yr.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    -hype wrote: »

But I just now accepted the Help Desk 2 Position, this week. Gonna get some experience on my belt, then apply for a sys admin position within a yr.

So, go for the Server 2008 certs - they will only enhance your chances of landing that Sys Admin role, more so than the CCNA. You can always get the CCNA after the server certs (unless you want to complete the current CCNA before it expires September 30).
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    -hype wrote: »

Don't be afraid to move to something better, even if you did just recently get your position. I usually hit the job boards once a week, regardless of when I started my job or how happy I am with my current position. If you keep your eyes open, you might meet your goals sooner than planned. Even if you don't accept positions, it gives you a great idea of what people hiring are looking for in candidates.

As for the M$ burnout, I can certainly relate to that. Perhaps you might be better taking a break and moving elsewhere for your studies for a bit, even non-IT. This will give you some time to recover from the burn and adjust to your new position. After a week or two (or month or two if you are lazy like me) you can roll into whatever topic you have decided upon.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I might throw the VCP or a Hyper-v cert in the mix. Virtualization is here to stay and the number of companies adopting virtualization is constantly increasing. I agree a new employer would rather see the experience than just the cert, but having the cert atleast gives you a shot at the job and proves you know something. Who knows you may even be able to get some work on the virtualization side of things at your newly-accepted role. Good luck with whatever you do!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com