Equipment for room lab

HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I'm currently studying ccna2 at Devry along with a few other classes. The ccna stuff seems to be the most interesting to me. There are only 2 classrooms with cisco equipment and I am only enrolled in one Cisco related course, the labs in the classroom only give me enough time to work on weekly assignments and not much more. The simulator software can only do so much, I want more real life experience! I also want to be extra prepared for actual ccna test, I don't want to fail. I plan on spending about 1-1.5k for my home lab. Below is a list of the things that I plan on getting in the next few weeks. A * indicates the item(s) have been ordered already. Any input about other things I am going to need or should get will be helpful, thanks.

c2610 32/8 *
c2611 64/16
c2621 64/16

catalyst 2950 24
catalyst 2950 12

wic 1t x 2 *
wic 2t *
wic-1 dsu-t1 *
db60 to serial cable x 2 *
console rollover cable x 3*

As you can see the setup is going to be 3 router, 2 switch, do I really need a third?

Comments

• samikosamiko Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can do so much with two routers and a switch. I have bought two cisco routers (2621 & 2611) need a serial port on each for back to back connection. I think you could practice all you need for your exam on this setup.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As you can see the setup is going to be 3 router, 2 switch, do I really need a third?
    A 3rd switch would let you check out VTP transparent mode and see the changes from the server propagate to the client switch through the transparent mode switch (if you set it up that way). So its really a matter of bang for the buck -- is it worth the bucks to bang that transparent mode information into your brain?

2 switches is the "sweet point" where you can do STP and VTP.... the 3rd is nice to have and a cheaper 2900 model that runs IOS would work good enough (and not cut as deeply into your beer budget). And the 2900 might let you try ISL (the 2950s and the rest of the world don't do ISL) - check the blueprint and see if Cisco still has ISL on it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys very much for replying, so far the 2611 and 2950 24 is on its way. I think im gonna scratch the 2950 12, but still get the 2621.
    I also have a 1900 switch but didnt list it. Can anyone tell me some reasons why the 2950 will benifit more than the 1900 in a lab?
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    The 1900 is OLD....It does not support 802.1Q frame tagging or QoS....I am not sure about STP can someone verify that?
    Now working full time!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can anyone tell me some reasons why the 2950 will benifit more than the 1900 in a lab?
    You can do the switch stuff on the 2950s that you will be tested on.

The 1900 does STP.... but without the IOS commands -- so it can be a switch in the loop, but there are no "switch menu" questions on the CCNA exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!