Keep trucking ahead to get CCNA or go for Win 7 certs?

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is my current situation, hoping that I can get some direction.

I'm a Computer Network student at a local tech college. We are part of the Cisco Networking Academy which I enjoy. As part of the program I have to take Cisco classes and I won't be graduating until next December. I love networking though and just earned my CCENT certification through self-study. My plan was to immediately jump on my ICND2 exam and get my CCNA by this September, which is when fall semester starts. This was my plan because I was studying the old exams, and they expire this September. However, I can take the new ICND2 exam after taking the Cisco courses at school.

Recently I landed an IT internship and am getting a lot of experience with imaging Windows 7, using Windows Deployment Services and desktop support. Also, I am exposed to Windows Server 2008 and Active Directory. The internship is only for 3 months with a possibility of lasting longer depending on work load. it got me thinking about going for some Microsoft certs as long as I am getting this exposure daily.

I am not sure what is wise. My goal and career goals line up with Cisco networking. My big goal was to get CCNA before September but I could hold off. I would just want it by graduation. However, I am not sure Windows certs are the way to go just because of an internship I have. I am sure I can self-study or will get this exposure once I am employed full-time. Not only that but I do NOT want to be desktop support for very long. The thing is it would look great on my resume and I do want exposure to different operating system environments to be well-rounded in IT.

Thoughts?

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since you want to be a networker, I vote CCNA.
  • mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I concur. CCNA
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get your CCNA icon_thumright.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Even as I was typing that out I wanted to do CCNA so I guess I should follow my instincts. Thanks for the reassurance.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup Cisco would be the way to go. You can always do M$ certs after if you still want to.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This isn't even a contest. Do CCNA.