Options

Using an answer file on a Hyper-V VM

RoyalTechRoyalTech Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm using a lab of virtual machines and am trying to practice imaging & deployment. The one thing I'm having trouble with is using an answer file. This is usually explained using a UFD but that isn't possible on a VM to my understanding. I also am not sure how to copy an answer file to a physical CD/DVD or if that is feasible. I know about pass-through disks but don't seem to be able to turn a physical cd drive to offline to transfer it to a VM. I'm sure that this is possible, I'm just having trouble figuring it out. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

My vent is that every book or tut I've seen says to do it with a virtual lab and then explains it in terms of a physical lab and never mentions VMs again even though some things need to be done a little differently when using a VM. Makes no sense to me. OK, I'll step off my soapbox now.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Create a small vhd and put your answer file in there. Alternatively set a usb drrive offline and pass it through.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    By USB drive you don't mean a UFD but an external hard drive, right? Regarding the use of a hard drive or VHD, I have read that only removable media is checked for answer files. That's why I never thought about doing it with a VHD or external drive. Could you explain that? I'm getting it from the
    "Configuring Windows 7 Training Kit" from Microsoft Press.
  • Options
    EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use a virtual floppy disk. From the Hyper-V manager, create the disk by going to New | Floppy Disk. Once you have it created, mount it on your technician computer by going to Insert | Floppy Disk. Format the VFD and add your answer file. Unmount the VFD. On the machine you want to apply the answer file, mount the VFD and start it up. That should do the trick.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • Options
    EasyMac308 wrote: »
    Use a virtual floppy disk. From the Hyper-V manager, create the disk by going to New | Floppy Disk. Once you have it created, mount it on your technician computer by going to Insert | Floppy Disk. Format the VFD and add your answer file. Unmount the VFD. On the machine you want to apply the answer file, mount the VFD and start it up. That should do the trick.

Thanks alot! That's one thing I didn't try that I should have before asking. I'll give that a try and see how it works. Sounds good though. Thanks again!