switching to a new ip scope

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

hope i am in the right forum for this question so its not falling on deaf ears.

We have 2 scopes in our school 2 X 254 IP's which we have just ran out of with growing clients. We have a new scope 4 X 254 IP's and need to go on this new scheme. Is it a lengthy and difficult process to change over, our switches are static and print servers everything else is DHCP.

Any info would be great

Lee H

Comments

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Can a superscope be used using 2 different subnets, i remember something vague about needing to use DHCP relay, i dont have time to read loads of litiratue on this so any help is great

Lee H
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Refer HERE for some help setting this up.

I would be prepared to read a little to understand this topic. For what you want to do it is a viable solution.
  • K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    I would suggest that you setup a superscope,it will work pretty well. However you need to setup a DHCP relay agent on the subnets inorder for the hosts to get ip addresses, otherwise check if your routers are RFC-1542 compliant if they are u only need a superscope and no relay agent.

Otherwise i'm workin to get this exam done by next week.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    I would suggest that you setup a superscope,it will work pretty well. However you need to setup a DHCP relay agent on the subnets inorder for the hosts to get ip addresses, otherwise check if your routers are RFC-1542 compliant if they are u only need a superscope and no relay agent.

Otherwise i'm workin to get this exam done by next week.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I have been informed that setting up a relay agent is with the switch, is it a simple process to setup. Does anyone know what it entails.

Lee H
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Google it...

How to setup DHCP relay agent
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?