Options

Gearing up for 291!!!!!

After just three days of reading these are just the begining of the details I will transfer to flashcards and memorize for the test. This process works well for me because basically after taking details down and memorizing them I basically have all the fine details from the whole book. It takes about 2 months for a book of 12 chapters.

-what is APIPA stand for?
Automatic Private IP Addressing
-what is another term for a network's physical infrastructure?
Topology
-name some well known protocols included in the TCP/IP stack?
Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), Internet Protocol (IP), Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), User Datagram
Protocol (UDP), DNS and HTTP.
-by default what naming system is used in workgroups?
netbios
-explain why active directory and dns domains overlap most of the time?
AD and DNS domains are different entities, but it is simpler to have the DNS and AD names match
-what is windows version of novell's ipx/spx?
NWLink
-name the four layer reference model of TCP/IP from bottom to top?
network interface, internet, transport, application layers. (now i try again)
-protocols that exist at application layer?
telnet, ftp, smtp, dns, rip, snmp
-protocols that exist at transport layer?
tcp, udp
-protocols that exist at internet layer?
arp, ip, igmp, icmp
-physical media types at network interface layer?
ethernet, token ring, frame relay, atm
-briefly explain steps of tcp/ip layers?
network interface layer: standards for physical media and electrical signaling
internet layer: information is packaged, addressed, and routed to network destinations
transport layer: standards of data transport are determined
application layer: end-user data is manipulated, packaged and sent to and from transport layer ports
-explain ARP?
ARP finds the physical cmputers for which IP packets are destined withing each network segment. After using ARP to look up
hardware addresses, TCP/IP hosts store known IP-to-MAC address mappings in a local ARP cache.
-how can you veiw the arp cache and clear arp cache?
by using arp -a and clear it by using arp -d
-explain IP?
internet protocol, responsible for addressing and routing packets between hosts.ip does not attempt to recover from errors like
lost packets, misrouted, etc.. that responsibility lies with higher level protocols such as TCP.
-explain ICMP?
hosts and routers that use IP can report errors and exchange limited control and status information. the ping command sends a
ICMP echo request.
-explain TCP?
receives data from the application layer and processes the data as a stream of bytes. these bytes are then grouped into segments
that TCP then numbers and sequences for delivery to a network host. when tcp receives a stream of data from a network host
it sends the data to the intended application.
-know these port numbers:
ftp 20/21
http 80
https 443
pptp 1723
l2tp 500,1701,4500
-explain UDP?
UDP is a connectionless service that provides only best-effort datagram delivery to network hosts. DNS relies on UDP becuase
it is faster.
-give an example of a network client and explain them?
network clients are software components tied to a network connection , such as client for microsoft networks
-what three components allow network connections to allow network hosts to communicate?
network clients, services and protocols associated with (bound to) the connection
-what are network services and name a couple?
software components tied to a network connection, they provide additional features to network connections.
they include file and printer sharing for microsoft networks, network load balancing, qos packet scheduler
-what are network protocols and name a few?
basic software components such as TCP/IP and AppleTalk that allow a computer to communicate with other
computers.
-what are network clients and network services built upon?
network protocols
-where do you access the "bind-order" for network connections?
while in network connections window choose advanced, advanced settings
-in advanced settings in the network connection window in provider order, are these orders adapter specific?
no, the provider order will be followed for every adapter
-what is APIPA?
Automatic Private IP Addressing computer uses IP in range 169.254.0.1-169.254.255.254
-on what OS's is APIPA available?
98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003
-how do you configure DNS, WINS, and Gateway on a pc with an APIPA address?
use an alternate configuration
-can you disable APIPA and if so, how?
Set alternate configuration
For one adapter change this reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
\interface (add the registry entry IPAutoconfigurationEnabled with value of 0) (REG_DWORD data type)
For multiple adapters change this reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
(add the registry entry IPAutoconfigurationEnabled with value of 0) (REG_DWORD data type)
-what two scenarios would lead to an all zeros IP at ipconfig?
ip was released and not renewed, or machine cannot get an ip and APIPA was disabled
-what is a multihomed computer and what can they be used for with 2003?
servers with two nics and they can be used as routers when connected to two separate networks
-in default workgroups what protocol handles file sharing, security, browsing, and printing?
CIFS
-what are network connections automatically configured with?
client for ms networks, file and printer sharing and TCP/IP
-when installing a networking component on a vpn or dial up connection what tab must you select?
networking tab then choose install
-if you install client services for netware is it only bound to that adapter?
no, it is bound to all adapters, remove it from the adapters that do not need it
-what is the name of the group that manages the top level distribution of public IPs?
IANA or Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
-what are private ip addresses and what are the ranges?
the IANA reserved a range of IP addresses and did not release them for public internet use, these are
to be used on private networks
10.0.0.0 10.255.255.254
172.16.0.0 172.31.255.254
192.168.0.0 192.168.255.254
-what is the dotted decimal notation form of an IP address?
-list potential values in binary octet?
128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
-convert 10101100 00011111 11100110 11011010
-convert 172.17.7.27
10101100 00010001 00000111 00011011
-if you see this 1110 in a scientific calculator what is the actual binary number?
00001110, the calculator leaves off the leftmost "0s"
-usually routers do not need to know the exact host that packets are going to, what do they usually need?
the destination network address
-an IP address is broken into two parts what are they?
network ID and host ID
-why can't a network ID or host ID be all ones?
this is interpeted as a broadcast 255.255.255.255
-why can't a network or host ID be all zeros?
this is interpeted to mean "this network only"
-what must the host ID portion of the IP address be?
it must be unique to the local network ID
-give details of class A IP range?
value of first octet is 1-126 network ID is first octet host ID is second, third, and fourth octet,
there are 126 networks within this class, and 16,777,214 number of hosts per network value of first bits
is always 0
-give details of class B IP range?
value of first octet is 128-191 network ID is first and second octet and host is third and fourth octet,
there are 16,384 networks within this class and 65,534 hosts per network. value of first bits is 10
-give details of class C IP range?
value of first octet is 192-223 network ID is first second and third octet and host is fourth octet,
there are 2,097,152 networks within class with 254 hosts per network value of first bits is 110
-give details of class D IP range?
first octet is 224-239 reserved for multicast addressing
-give details of class E IP range?
first octet is 240-254 reserved for experimental use
-in a subnet mask which blocks? a 1 or a 0?
a 1 blocks
-when sending packets how does the host determine if the destination is on the local subnet or remote?
the host does a ANDing between it's IP address and the local subnet mask. ANDing two numbers results
in a number with all zeros unless both original binary numbers have 1-bits. 172.20.16.200 and 255.255.0.0
would result in 172.20.0.0 then the same is done with the destination IP and local subnet, so
172.21.26.200 and 255.255.0.0 result in 172.21. 172.20 and 172.21 are not identical so this address is
deemed remote by the host.
-what do you read this 131.106.16.200/24 and what is it known as?
131.106.16.200 with a subnet mask 24 1 bits long 255.255.255.0
network prefix or classless interdomain routing (CIDR)
-
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comments

• Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    of course some good techno while reading doesn't hurt! :D
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    -in default workgroups what protocol handles file sharing, security, browsing, and printing?
    CIFS

isn't it SMB?
    witty comment
  • Options
    double checked the book states its CIFS, but i want to say i read somewhere (not sure) that SMB and CIFS are closely related

book may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    I'm also scheduled to take an exam next week and currently i feel very confident on DNS and DHCP though right now all my effort is towards RRAS and security.

So men have a nice one, remmember to post ur results when you've slayed the beast.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    I'm also scheduled to take an exam next week and currently i feel very confident on DNS and DHCP though right now all my effort is towards RRAS and security.

So men have a nice one, remmember to post ur results when you've slayed the beast.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Options
    good luck man!
  • Options
    Ok, just got to this part in the MS 291 book:

SMB has been extended and officially renamed Common Internet File System.

FYI, just sharing knowledge

:D
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    interesting. however i can't remember CIFS being mentioned, but i do remember SMB being mentioned (in the exam).
    witty comment