Options

Where to start with Cisco Voice

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
So, I started a position this week and I'm joining as they are in the planning stages of a new Cisco Voice deployment. So far my experience with Voice has just involved the QoS policies. So I'm thinking was a good place to start and what material is definitely worth looking at?

So far I'm going through the INE CCNA Voice Videos, and I got the CCNA: Voice Cisco Press Book.

I'm not looking to get the certification, since I don't want to de-rail my IE:R/S studies too much but I do want to get familiar with Voice.
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• Options
    sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey SteveO86 ,

Have you watched cbt nuggets by jeremy cioara ?
    They're great for beginners and will give you great information on voice world and how things work,definitely worth watching if your not familiar with voice,as you know jeremy cioara wrote that book too
    But if you are already familiar with voice world ine is great,if you have time do both and good luck with your ccie icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    start with the free INE CCNA V. Don't get frustrated at it's not going to come as easy as route/switch, but stick with it and it will eventually make sense.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

CBT Nuggets, no since I have had the All Access Pass from INE for quite some time now I went there first. My experience has been INE > CBT Nuggets for Cisco, unless the Voice is much better at CBT Nuggets?

Having been through the first few INE CCNA:V Videos about twice now, it's starting to stick, just got to get used to the hardware and how it interacts, DSPs, FXO/FXS, SIP/H323.

Although I'm thinking once I get to the GUI of CU or CM (Whichever it's called nowadays lol) that's when the real fun begins.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    It also seems the CCNA V Cisco press books follows the INE videos (at least in the beginning) so this could be a good start.

gonna try and have this material knocked out by end of next week.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    CCNA V official books are useless. The official cert guide pretty much only covers CME and at a level where you'd be better off labbing it yourself with google and a spare weekend esp. at your level of general Cisco experience.

I'm guessing its a fairly large enterprise scale deployment you're involved with, so the stuff you really need to understand is in CVOICE (voice routers / how to make digits from X go Y and QoS) and CIPT1 (CUCM basics and day to day admin).

You should be covered from a background POV after reading those (and understanding esp CVOICE, its still routers lol). CIPT2 and CAPPS will not be required for your objectives, you're not the one in charge of implementing a gatekeeper controlled intercluster H323 trunking deployment LOL.

I'm doing the voice track now myself just to cover off the missing digits on my resume (as I have spent years on CUCM jobs.... from v4 to v6 to v8, lots of CUBE work too), all the best with your IE R&S studies (thats next on my list LOL).
  • Options
    I'm just going through the CCNA: Voice book as primer just to get my feet wet.

CVOICE does look like a good resource since I will be dealing with multiple CUBEs along with CIPT for the CUCMs. I'm not so much worried about QoS, I've done a lot with QoS and one of the exams from the CCIP was QoS.

CCNP:V is no where on my list, 5 exams would de-rail my CCIE:R/S studies for a while.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    If you're dealing with CUBE, CVOICE is absolutely essential. You'll be killed on dial peer logic alone. You will also need to understand all the TDM to VOIP bits for migrating/interop with your legacy PABX sites / current ISDN connectivity etc. (depends if you're using MGCP gateways for ISDN or CUBE everything). A lot of CUCM jockeys are also very light on CUBE/SBC and you as the router guy will need to bail them out.

That's been my experience anyway - for my current CUCM cluster I was lead and design on our 28 ISDN --> 3 SIP trunk migration (which obviously involved 3 CUBEs). I had to swallow my pride and go back to reading the textbook to get out of a few jams along the way :p now to knuckle down and prove my knowledge on paper ROFL

best of luck