Help with running servers on ESXi free version

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
We have to 64 bit servers that are running a similar Application and various 32 bit servers running Exchange 2003. We need to upgrade Exchange 2003 to 2010 so we are looking at virtualising the 64 bit servers and then running Exchange along the Application on the two servers. I have been asked to look at using ESXi Free version or even a paid version and also compare with running the same setup on Windows 2012 with Hyper V.

Will they be any complications in running App and Exchange virtual machines on a free version of ESXi or am I better of going for the Windows 2012 Hyper V?

Comments

• TritiumTritium Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't worked with Hyper V so I can't comment on that aspect; however, I run all of my client's virtual servers on the free version of ESXi. I haven't really had any problems. I have noticed however, that I had to assign a pretty good amount of ram to my SBS running exchange for it to run decent. On two of my ESXi servers, I have 5-6 Virtualized OS on each. Runs like a champ with the right hardware!
    2014 Cert Goals:
    ICND1 [X]
    Done!
    ICND2 [ ] Workin on it
    My CCNA Lab...A work in Progress
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bear in mind though that the free version had a 32GB Ram limit (5.x anyway)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    How many mailboxes are there? How much data? Are you looking into DAG or just 1 mailbox install ? What is the email traffic, heavy/light users? Check out VMware's Exchange 2010 virtualization best practices.
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JBrown wrote: »
    How many mailboxes are there? How much data? Are you looking into DAG or just 1 mailbox install ? What is the email traffic, heavy/light users? Check out VMware's Exchange 2010 virtualization best practices.

There is going to be about 300 mailboxes with a potential growth to 500. The traffic will be quite average. I think 32GB ram will be ok because thats how much we would plan to put on the actual physical server.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a limit of 32GB TOTAL, for all VM's on the host, not per VM.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    It's a limit of 32GB TOTAL, for all VM's on the host, not per VM.

Thanks, should have been a bit more precise with my comment :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p