Options

Voice Gateway Book(s)?

Guys,

So I was wondering if anyone had read either of these books and if both or one or the other is sufficient? After my CCNP I'm starting to gather additional resources to add to my library. Are these relatively the same book or are there major differences?
Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers
Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Voice over IP and QoS

Comments

• Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    The Gateways/Gatekeepers book has much more detail in those areas vs. the current CVOICE book. I have both and would recommend it. It's great for reference and one of the best written Cisco Press Books IMO.
  • Options
    bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    Great!! Thanks for the input Aaron, i just didn't want to purchase an older version of a similar book. I'll take the plunge and add it to my collection

Appreciate the feedback!
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    The one thing with gateways/gatekeepers is that its out of date/light on SIP, thats its only weakness. Regarding general SBC/gateway operation and dial peer config its always been my bible.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    +1 on Gateway Gatekeepers, Don't leave home without it. That one and call manager fundamentals are the most important books in learning VoIP. Both outdated, but some things about the way it operates never change.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    thanks shodown.

i picked up both books at a used price... way more relieved than paying the brand new price.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Good luck.
    BTW re: prices, not sure about where you are, but where I am, to buy the full set of official Cisco Press books for a CCxP (assuming 4 books) the cost isn't even half that of the actual exams (assuming you pass first time!) so I wouldn't stress over that!!!