Passed 70-410

Passed 70-410 with an 810.

Used both MS Press books, the Exam Ref and the Training guide. I bought a 30 day access to SeftestSoftware (Kaplan) which made me realize how much was missing from the books. That was a huge help. Also have a streaming subscription to CBT Nuggets.

Was worried about Hyper-V, but a lot if my VMware background translated OK.

Lots of PowerShell and command line. So pay attention to those examples if you use the books!

Work is paying for me to take the class for the 70-411, so maybe I'll take that in July.

Comments

• Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    Congratz! I passed mine a week ago with 936
  • topcat007topcat007 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! How long did it take you to study for it? How long are the exams? Thank you
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    topcat007 wrote: »
    Congratulations! How long did it take you to study for it? How long are the exams? Thank you
    Took me about 3 months to prepare. I really didn't get serious until this month though.

Exam was 60 questions. They give you 2 hours to complete. Took me an hour.
    Are Microsoft books better for the 2012 exams than they were for the 2008 exams?
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I think they are worse. No labs for example in the Ref book. It reminds me more of the old Exam Cram books. A good overview, but not in depth enough to to pass the test.
    That's the way to do it Microsoft!!icon_sad.gif
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Agree with Microsoft's latest series of books. Depth of the material in them is weak an in most cases without lab exercises. I ought to be taking the 70-410 in the summer.
  • armandsssarmandsss Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also preparing right now 70-410 and those MS books are just pure crapp. The depth in those books are not anywhere close to what is in exam.
    Trainsignal videos are good only for newbies.... they give you an 10000 feet view on exam contents. It's good that they are for free right now (part of 90daystoMCSA thing), otherwise I would be really pissed off to spend money on such kind of crap.
    CBT Nuggets are not bad, but not good enough to prepare for the exam by watching only those videos.

So thinking right now to buy SeftestSoftware access for a month and hopefully it should be OK then.
  • TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    armandsss wrote: »
    I am also preparing right now 70-410 and those MS books are just pure crapp. The depth in those books are not anywhere close to what is in exam.
    Trainsignal videos are good only for newbies.... they give you an 10000 feet view on exam contents. It's good that they are for free right now (part of 90daystoMCSA thing), otherwise I would be really pissed off to spend money on such kind of crap.
    CBT Nuggets are not bad, but not good enough to prepare for the exam by watching only those videos.

So thinking right now to buy SeftestSoftware access for a month and hopefully it should be OK then.

Fully agree. The MS-Press book currently out for 70-410 should never, in my opinion, have been released. Just from the shear number of errors alone in the book. It's obvious this was rushed out to print in the absence of any other available study guides.
    My combination of study methods right now for the 70-411 is TechNet, Nuggets, and hands-on practice.