Need a new printer

hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
I have a Canon MP190 that is starting to give me fits. I have done the cleaning and built in maintenance tasks but it is still printing with smudges and slight misalignments so unless anyone can give me any other ideas I should probably get a new printer. I'm looking for something simple in the sub $100 range, not printing photos just greyscale paperwork and don't need an attached scanner. Any suggestions? I could look at reviews but figured I'd ask here first. Thanks.

Comments

• MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I have a brother 2200 something laser with wireless, works great. I have had it over 2 years, fiance prints all the school papers etc on it.

They have non wireless ones on amazon for $90, wireless is $110.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    Is it this one? I was looking at it before I posted, duplex printing would be nice. I just need something really for printed invoices and disposable marketing materials mostly.

Amazon.com: Brother HL2240D Monochrome Printer: Electronics
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Yea thats it exactly except the wireless part and I don't have duplexing. Its been very solid though. I've move 3 times with it.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    At home I have a Epson WorkForce 633 and I love it. Solid printer, fast, and isn't hard on the ink. And the ink isn't an arm and a leg like some other printers (HP, I'm looking at you). We use Brother [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MFC-7360N's ($175 at Amazon) at work and they're pretty solid, especially for the volume of printing we put them through. I know it's outside your range, but I really like them and they can take lots of abuse. We went through 3 Canon laser printers in 6 months, but the Brothers refuse to die.[/FONT]
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I have a brother 2200 something laser with wireless, works great. I have had it over 2 years, fiance prints all the school papers etc on it.

They have non wireless ones on amazon for $90, wireless is $110.

I have an older version of that same printer and love it. The wireless isn't as novel as it was 4+ years ago when I got mine, but it is a great convenience, and with a cheap refill kit the price per page is amazingly low. So far it has survived my wife and myself both going back to school along with a teenager in high school and a 7 year old who just recently discovered how to print and thinks she needs 15 copies of everything.

After 4+ years I think the drum in mine is finally getting to the end of its life and at that point it will probably be cheaper to replace the printer than just the drum.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
    We went through 3 Canon laser printers in 6 months, but the Brothers refuse to die.

I haven't liked Canons for many years, the build quality just isn't there, but you are right, the Brothers are tough. They aren't old HP LJ4 tough, but nothing is anymore. For a brand I always thought was kind of cheap (in a bad way), I have been impressed with mine and will likely get another when it is time.
    What next, what next...
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    I haven't liked Canons for many years, the build quality just isn't there, but you are right, the Brothers are tough. They aren't old HP LJ4 tough, but nothing is anymore. For a brand I always thought was kind of cheap (in a bad way), I have been impressed with mine and will likely get another when it is time.

HP ink jets never impressed me either, but after having done some work on the LaserJet side, I'd own one if I had that kind of scratch. Not to mention the fact that I can find service manuals and repair the broken ones.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

HP ink jets never impressed me either, but after having done some work on the LaserJet side, I'd own one if I had that kind of scratch. Not to mention the fact that I can find service manuals and repair the broken ones.

HP Ink Jets used to be OK; although they led the way with overpriced ink and they were slow to adopt the individual color cartridges. That was the one thing I really liked about Canons.

I really don't use color at home, a B&W laser does 99% of what I need and is so much cheaper it isn't funny.
    What next, what next...
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I have a 14 year old Samsung monochrome laser printer that I honestly hope to never replace. If I had to replace it, I would probably look for a Dell or Brother monochrome laser without any fancy bells or whistles. I just need a printer that prints.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am a fan of Brother in terms of cost and ink/toner when you just need a simple printer.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I guess I'll be getting a Brother then.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HP here. Solid printer much better than the Lexmark I had before. (Not to hard to top that)
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love my Brother HL-2270DW, it often goes for less than $100 Amazon.com: Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex: Electronics

I've gotten 388 pages from the starter toner cartridge so far. It's the first printer that I've had that hasn't eaten cartridges. It has auto duplex, wired and wireless connectivity, and spits out pages fairly quickly. There is also no ink to dry out if you don't use it regularly. Best $100 I've ever spent.