Which certs would you get if they were free and you had time...

xe3tecxe3tec Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
My employer is "forcing" me to get some extra credits, certs or university courses. I can choose whatever I like as long as it is not too expensive (max 5k). I also have 1-2 years, as I like.
The area I want to work in later is network/sys administration. I also must say that I will not get any MS cert.
So right now I am study for my CCNA. After that I might consider the CCNA Security. I'd like something in Unix too, maybe from RH? Or LPIC? Also interesting would be Vmware/Centrix...
Any other recommendations?

thx icon_cheers.gif
Goal 2013: CCNA, CCNA Security

Comments

• hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I got a free practice test voucher for MeasureUp for any vendor exam so I'm wondering the same thing, I'm looking at Security+ and Project+. I don't have my A+ but I'm not wasting a free voucher on something so easy.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anything GIAC, simply because they are prohibitively expensive. Most other certs that even interest me are not, but VMware certs would be another good example.

Most of the associated SANS course + GIAC test should be under $5K, so if you have any interest in security, it would be a good call. Otherwise VCP might be your best bet. The training is required and is pretty pricey, but within that budget.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • xe3tecxe3tec Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ptilsen: that kind of looks like US only stuff, never heard of those in Europe, except for the VMWare
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That may well be the case. I would go VMware unless there's something else I'm not thinking of that requires expensive paid training. Might as well get the most from the opportunity.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd suggest the Red Hat Linux cert (RHCSA) + VMware cert (VCP) combo. Combine these with the CCNA and your set. All this is easily doable in 2 years, moreso 1-1.5 years but YMMV. Good luck with whatever you do!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You mentioned the 5K cap. Seriously, if I had additional free time, I would work at ISACA, minimally, the CISM. I'd probably attempt a December testing.

Heck, for 5K, I could purchase an in-seat bootcamp, but that's months (if not years) down the road at this point.

If money was no object, I really wouldn't need any certifications, and would live a simple life of giving back to society (or at least, I hope I would not turn really greedy and not share.)

EDIT: With regards to VMware, there is a community college that offers the training for less than $300, and it's in the virtualization forum, they have a thread about it.

I'll probably get in that class myself, (if the time presents itself).

If I was the OP, I would complete the CCNA:R&S and CCNA:Security. After that, RHCSA/RHCE. That may use up the better part of a year or two, and it incorporates your interests.

Someone mentioned VMware, but I wouldn't recommend VMware to someone who doesn't really know that much about networking or Linux, considering that is the foundation VMware is built on top of. (At least, I know that being the guy for storage, networking, and servers when I took the vSphere 4 ICM course a few years back made everything a lot easier to digest.) Not knowing how those things work would make it just that much more difficult, I feel. (Not saying you have to be a guru, but you have to know a few things to really do it right.)

EDIT2:

So, I recommend this order:

1 - CCNA:R&S
    2 - CCNA:Security
    3 - RHCSA
    4 - RHCE
    5 - VCP

Head on over to the CCENT/CCNA forum, and get started. Tons of excellent resources to be found.

I recommend signing up for the "in60days" website ... if it's still free. If not, INE is giving its CCNA course away for free:

http://www.ine.com

Start here:
    http://www.ine.com/all-access-pass/training/playlist/ccna-routing-switching-exam-course/introduction-10021222.html

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I gotta go with what every one else is mentioning VMware. It's gaining traction and it's already hot.

VM and CCNA would be a nice combo
    Yea RH and VM are what I was looking into. What you guys think about LICP? I am not a *nix rookie btw ;) would be just something official, so it would be kind of easy to get
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why do it if it's easy. Less is more with certification IMO. Let me explain - I would rather see someone with 1 or 2 high level certifications instead of a bunch of low hanging fruit.

I would focus on one certification at a time and only go for ones that will impact your career.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xe3tec wrote: »
    Yea RH and VM are what I was looking into. What you guys think about LICP? I am not a *nix rookie btw ;) would be just something official, so it would be kind of easy to get
    I would go with LPIC exams as RedHat is more popular in the States. SUSE Linux give free licensing to VMware customers so maybe that would tie up with what you want to do even better...
    Yea I heard that too, LICP in europe, RH in US. But both surely aint bad. We work with Suse Enterprise at work
    @N2IT: True ;)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If money were no object and I had time, I would be studying history, music, culinary arts... something other than IT.

For IT certification, if the certification is something I feel is needed for the next step in my career, I'm not going to let money get in the way.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    blargoe wrote: »
    If money were no object and I had time, I would be studying history, music, culinary arts... something other than IT.

If I had the time, I'd study Computer Science, Foreign Languages and Theology. For work, I'd like to be doing some form of charity.
    For IT certification, if the certification is something I feel is needed for the next step in my career, I'm not going to let money get in the way.

Agreed.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    xe3tec wrote: »
    My employer is "forcing" me

Like Seriously...TAKE THE OFFER!

Not too many places will pay for training.

Me personally, I'd go for MCSE on 2012, VCP, CISSP
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Anything GIAC, simply because they are prohibitively expensive.

This was my first thought too. I'd like to have some GIAC certs, but the only way I'm getting any is if someone else drops the cash.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Who needs certifications?! This monkey would prefer to become a philosopher. Winning the lottery might be nice too. icon_lol.gif
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    If I won the lottery, I would totally become a philosopher. Otherwise...it just doesn't seem like a very lucrative career path
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_hutch wrote: »
    If I won the lottery, I would totally become a philosopher. Otherwise...it just doesn't seem like a very lucrative career path

Could become a stand-up philosopher.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA: R&S, CCNA:Sec, Red hat and VMWare. Can't go wrong with that.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VMWare just for the course so I could get the cert. Not bothered about paying for the exam myself.
    the_hutch wrote: »

I studied CS and Philosophy :)