Options

Mock Question

satya20satya20 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I came through the following mock question and not able to agree with provided answer.

The security administrator often observes that an employee who entered the datacenter does not
match the owner of the PIN that was entered into the keypad. Which of the following would BEST
prevent this situation?

A. Multifactor authentication
B. Username and password
C. Mandatory access control
D. Biometrics

I thought the correct answer is "A". The answer provided by the mock test is "D".

Can anyone, please comment?

Thanks,

Satya

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Multifactor authentication can be shared as well. For example, if 2 factors were used; commonly would be a PIN and an RFID badge, both the PIN and the badge could be shared.

Biometrics are a bit harder to share icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    I don't know.. Then why Darill's book has the answer as "D" for this question as below?

20. Of the following choices, what provides the strongest authentication?

A. Password B. Smart card C. Retina scan D. Multifactor authentication

Why not "Retina scan"?

He explained..

D. Multifactor authentication combines two or more other factors of authentication and is stronger than any authentication using a single factor. A password is something you know, a smart card is something you have, and a retina scan is based on something you are.

Gibson, Darril (2011-11-10). CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (Kindle Locations 3362-3364). . Kindle Edition.
  • Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    satya20 wrote: »
    D. Multifactor authentication combines two or more other factors of authentication and is stronger than any authentication using a single factor. A password is something you know, a smart card is something you have, and a retina scan is based on something you are.

As I get it, multifactor combines more methods, where one can be retina scan. If you add f.e. PIN to the retina scan, it should be considered more secure. Therefore, multifactor is the strongest.

In the OP, the situation is quite different. You are asked to prevent sharing of credentials and biometrics could not be shared amongst employees.
  • Options
    Many thanks, I understood it now.
  • Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're welcome! And good luck with Sec+. I'm going to tackle it soon as well :)
  • Options
    datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    satya20 wrote: »
    I came through the following mock question and not able to agree with provided answer.

The security administrator often observes that an employee who entered the datacenter does not
    match the owner of the PIN that was entered into the keypad. Which of the following would BEST
    prevent this situation?

A. Multifactor authentication
    B. Username and password
    C. Mandatory access control
    D. Biometrics

I thought the correct answer is "A". The answer provided by the mock test is "D".

Can anyone, please comment?

Thanks,

Satya
    Good question, upon quickly reading it I would have chose "A" as well. But with a more thorough read, "D" Biometrics would prevent the situation in question.