Linux vs M$ studies

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Hey all,

Finally got the 70-680 done and am looking toward the next certification to start on. Hoping to get a little bit of advice from the community on this one. I had initially planned on the 685 / 686 as I wanted to hit the MCITP prior to its retirement (especially because I would be able to follow the upgrade on W8 with 1 exam) but I am less sure at this point though.

I have a Linux / UNIX admin at work who has encouraged me to start some Linux based training as it would greatly increase my value and opportunities within the company. Apparently after only 6 months, there are some higher-ups who are speaking my name in a favorable way and Linux training might put me in a great position for a jr sysadmin job.

While I am not against to Linux, I am very much unfamiliar with it. I had planned on learning at some point, but this would be moving up my studies significantly. I am curious what everyone's opinion is on this prospect. I am aware that learning Linux cannot hurt, but it might not result in a position change either. On the other hand, the 70-680 is fresh in my mind and the 70-685 / 686 might be much easier as a result. Changing gears now might hurt me later if I decide to come back to those exams.

Thanks!

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out LinuxCBT for Linux training, it's really good stuff. It's a similar price to CBTNuggets $99 per month for unlimited training. Very technical stuff.

Sorry to post that twice in 2 threads but it's relevant.. Linux admins get paid more than Microsoft admins and if there is a position in the company to work with it, and you are relatively new to IT then go for it, if it interests you. It's harder to become a Linux admin once you've been a Windows admin in my opinion anyway. You get used to the way things work and the way the GUI works as well as PowerShell and stuff. So if you were going to make the switch, now is the time to do it...
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I have a Linux / UNIX admin at work who has encouraged me to start some Linux based training as it would greatly increase my value and opportunities within the company. Apparently after only 6 months, there are some higher-ups who are speaking my name in a favorable way and Linux training might put me in a great position for a jr sysadmin job.

You said that you wanted to do it, anyway. Go for it. This is an invitation to succeed. Grab it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They aren't mutually exclusive. While it can be exhausting to try to truly go deep with both, it is not impossible.

I don't think it's fair to say Linux people actually get paid more. I'm not convinced senior-level engineers actually get compensated any differently, averaged out region-by-region and company-by-company. What I would say is you see a lot more junior and mid-level Windows admins, and Linux has a higher starting point. That brings the averages down, but it doesn't mean you can't make lots of money in Windows. That being said, it might actually be easier to get high-paying work in *nix-heavy roles if you're good simply because not many are. Good enough Windows admins are a dime a dozen (great ones are another story).

Honestly, I would recommend you at least dig into it a bit. Maybe you'll find you hate it, maybe not. Either way, it won't hurt you. Chances are you'll run into Linux or UNIX at some point in your career and be expected to do something with it. I know I have.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Might as well learn linux, most every IT job posting im finding is wanting some kind of linux experience and everything else under the sun.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Myself Windows for Clients and Linux for servers overall I find Linux and Open Source Technologies alot more interesting. That's my passion and that's the area I am keen to develop Not to dismiss Microsoft products all together I support them as a client side but outside work Linux is my focus
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to say Linux people actually get paid more. I'm not convinced senior-level engineers actually get compensated any differently, averaged out region-by-region and company-by-company. What I would say is you see a lot more junior and mid-level Windows admins, and Linux has a higher starting point. That brings the averages down, but it doesn't mean you can't make lots of money in Windows. That being said, it might actually be easier to get high-paying work in *nix-heavy roles if you're good simply because not many are. Good enough Windows admins are a dime a dozen (great ones are another story).
    Maybe it's different in the States but *nix engineers get paid at least €5000 more than a similar Wintel engineer. Check this salary survey for Ireland (page 34 & 37), *nix engineers start off with €10000 more than a Wintel engineer and could earn €100 per day more contracting.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to learn Linux do it the hard way

Learn Linux the Hard Way - Slashdot

Print off each section and work through a module each day :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Everywhere I've seen Linux admins get paid a substantial bit more to their MS counterparts.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Spelling Microsoft with a "$" sign is so 90's....
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I will pick up some linux study materials suggested here. Thanks for the input folks!