List of software tools for a System Admin or PC Tech?

Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm curious to know what software tools do you guys carry on a USB stick or portable hard drive for troubleshooting, recovery, maintenance and etc. I looked at some websites and the common tools I noticed are Firefox Portable, 7-Zip, Kee-Pass, FileZilla Portable, HiJackThis, Process Explorer and much more.

Comments

• ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Prime 95
    Speedfan
    3DP - installs network drivers
    Small Linux Distro
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    restart button
    meh
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    restart button

+1

Also, a fresh image on an external hard drive.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Image and reboot is about right. Those, maybe a network cable something to back up data.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have IObit Malware Fighter, Spybot, Data Recovery Wizard, File Association Fixer, Ccleaner, Glary Utilities, Disk Defragger, and Avast free edition. I also have Iboostup for Mac, Mac Recovery free, and Avast for Mac. I downloaded them all from CNET. A lot of people say Comodo is a good firewall, but they changed it and now it has all this extra stuff that can slow down a computer. I think AVG is better but I haven't updated my list of tools yet.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Swiss army knife

FalconFour.com | FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD

Has a Windows PE environment with various tools, Also has DOS tools which enable you to flash CMOS passwords etc.

Multiboot USB DVD Builder | Windows | SARDU

Another good tool allows you to create a multi boot dvd i.e have 4 linux distros or tools on one cd

Linux is your freind if you need to identify drivers and windows is being a pain in the ass fire it up get
    into a command line and type lspci -l
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    YFZblu wrote: »
    +1

Also, a fresh image on an external hard drive.

Only on an SSD and preferably in an eSATA or USB 3.0 enclosure if you are working with machines that have either one of those ports. Cuts down the install time dramatically when you have all that bandwidth as USB 2.0 often chokes at the low speeds. If you're really savvy, you can get a high-end USB 3.0 flash drive, make it bootable, and use it to re-image like wowzers!
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I was doing Desktop Support I never carried many software tools - IMO attempting to manually detect/remove malware at desktop endpoints is a waste of time and I usually had more important things to do than worry about what my Users clicked on. I would just backup the profile, nuke and pave. If the malware infected the profile itself and the User got popped again, I would reimage with no profile restoration.

If a drive went bad or a fan went out I would provide the User with a new machine I had waiting in the wings, and a warranty repair tech would be out within 24 hours.
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I've got:
    - ClamWin Portable (A/V)
    - DTaskManger Portable (Task Manager)
    - Revo Uninstaller Portable
    - Spybot Portable (Spyware)
    - TreeSize Portable (Space Utilization)
    - TrueCrypt (Encryption)
    - WinMTR Portable (Networking)

But I really don't use the malware detection much, it's easier to just pull the drive out and use my usb adapter to hook it up to my netbook and scan there.
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No one mentions Microsoft DaRT or MDOP?
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What do some system admins use for back up? disaster recovery?

Do you use the built-in Windows/Server backup?
  • TechZillaTechZilla Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CrystalDiskMark
    Double Driver
    Tree Size
    Sysinternals Suite
    7-zip
    KeePass
    Putty
    Wireshark

A few were already listed.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Putty
    Wireshark
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think it really depends on the role and the type of things you work with.

P.S. Surprised no one mentioned a browser yet icon_wink.gif Not for googling mind you, but for accessing all the web-based GUIs

P.P.S. And where is a Linux LiveCD?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Santa_ wrote: »
    What do some system admins use for back up? disaster recovery?

Do you use the built-in Windows/Server backup?

Symantec Backup Exec is what I use. As for tools some of them include:

CCleaner, WireShark, PuTTy, Tree Size
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    restart button
    LOL I guess that works also