Passed Security +

ZG403ZG403 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
First post! I just found this site about two weeks ago and I'm so glad I did. A lot of helpful information and helpful people. I took the Security + yesterday and passed with a score of 880/900. I had 7 simulations and 70 questions. I found the test to be a bit harder than I expected mainly because of the simulations. They can be a little intimidating and throw you off your game.

The study materials I used were:

Principles of Computer Security by Wm. Arthur Conklin and Gregory White
Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson

Darril Gibsons book was my main book, I read it 3 times along with going thru the practices questions. I really like his writing style and will be looking for more of his books in the future.

To help with the simulations know your protocols and ports, how to configure a WAP and general knowledge of ACL's will help with the firewall configs.

Next up for me CCENT/CCNA.

Comments

• SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Great! Thanks for the feedback, and congratulations.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome the forums - great first post. Congratulations on the pass. Great to hear the book helped and that you found this site to help with the final two weeks of studying. Seven simulations! This seems to be rather consistent that people are getting much more than just three. Excellent feedback on what to know for these.

Good luck on the CCENT/CCNA. In case you haven't found it, this site has a forum for those certs too: CCNA / CCENT Forums.
  • ZG403ZG403 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sponx wrote: »
    Great! Thanks for the feedback, and congratulations.

Thanks Sponx!

Now that I have had a chance to reflect on it. Here is some more feedback. I had simulations where you had to match various types of malware to their definitions, pick the correct type of attack after watching a simulation, had to look at failure logs and determine which device failed in the best manner and there was one more that I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Those were the ones that I had in addition to what I had previously posted. Hope that helps.
  • ZG403ZG403 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link to the CCNA/CCENT forums Darril; I will definitely check those out. Really glad I got your Security + book, it really made a lot of things come together for me. I was able to answer practically all the questions and simulations with what I learned from your book. I signed up for your emails and was able to take advantage of the OSI chapter giveaway. That is really an awesome thing to do and I appreciate it.

Have a great day!