Citrix and VMWare

SamHawkinsSamHawkins Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which Courses from both of these providers would people recommend and how much are the exam fees for these?

Comments

• About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would think it would depend on your goals. VMWare and Citrix offer a vast selection of technologies. I personally have been considering XEN for a while, but that is nothing I would go out of my way to study right now.
  • jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's not cheap but the VMware VCP5 is the way to go.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Are you talking about desktop, server or application technologies? You'll have to be more specific.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Citrix has a wide range of products to learn about. The big 3 seem to be Xenapp, XenDesktop, and XenServer. They offer official training courses for all 3 that range from $3-5k. The exams themselves are $150 I think. I don't know that I'd look at the official training unless your employer wanted to send you through it. Hands on experience seems to be the best teacher for Citrix technologies. Set up a lab or get in on the next production deployment. I've read several books from Packt Publishing recently and they have a good overview for any of the above.

VMware has official courses that I hear are great, but range from $4-6k from most vendors. From what I understand, you have to complete official VMware coursework before you can sit for the exam.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yes the VCP5 course needs to be through an official provider but why not sign up for this and you can at least get aquainted with all the tech for a fraction of the price.
    New Trainsignal subscription service review | vhorizon
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Inexpensive VMware classes can be found in this site's Virtualization forum. Stanley Community College, Ohlone College, and U.C. Santa Cruz Extension have online classes costing much less than the $3-4K figure given in an earlier post. Stanley's is in the $200-$225 range, while the other two programs are in the $1,100 to $1,500 range. Passing any of these courses entitles you to take the VCP exam.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Interesting....good to know.

College courses would also be eligible for tuition reimbursement if your employer offers that. I'll have to keep that in mind for my VCP studies down the road.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITMonkey wrote: »
    Inexpensive VMware classes can be found in this site's Virtualization forum. Stanley Community College, Ohlone College, and U.C. Santa Cruz Extension have online classes costing much less than the $3-4K figure given in an earlier post. Stanley's is in the $200-$225 range, while the other two programs are in the $1,100 to $1,500 range. Passing any of these courses entitles you to take the VCP exam.

I'm actually starting the Stanley's CC course on May 20th. Looking forward to it and you can't beat the price.