Options

Promotion to Service Desk...Need help deciding on certifications to pursue!

klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I was promoted this week to Faculty and Staff phone support at my university big jump since I will be moving from helping students fix WI-FI issues and dealing with virus problems etc. I will actually be gaining some well needed technical knowledge..the question I have is which certification should I now pursue...should I go for the A+ cert or skip and go for the Network+ and Sec+ or any other certs...I will look into any suggestions

I am an Information Security and Assurance major looking to get into network security and/or application security so I know the Sec+ is recommended. I am just not sure which other certs I should pursue.
Look me up on LinkedIn, Lets Connect! http://www.linkedin.com/in/klhatchett92

Comments

• Options
    creativeLiquidcreativeLiquid Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would take A+ just because of the ease of the test.

I didn't study for it, and just went in and took it.
    Passed it without a problem.

Not sure what is your situation with computer experience, yet if you have been around, take A+ and get it "out of the way".
    After that... I truly don't want to give you advice because then we'd be in the same footing.

Personally, I'm taking MCITP next, and Network+ after that.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What are you going to be working with? That is what I would get certified in.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with networker050184.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Still getting the details on what exactly I will be working on, but from speaking to others that are already in the system I will be using remote desktop, track it, Linux server, Zimbra, Citrix etc. Sorry I cannot be more detailed I haven't really started official training yet.

But according to my new manager with this job I will be a Level 1 technician I believe...it happened very quickly btw lol. I hope this answers your questions
    Look me up on LinkedIn, Lets Connect! http://www.linkedin.com/in/klhatchett92