How do you cope with a failing grade?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know in the end it's just a test, but how do you cope with spending endless weeks or months of your time and money studying for an exam only to be told you failed? :)
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Figure out where you were weak on, study it, then try again.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    Drink :) Seriously though, use it as a learning experience. Like dave330i said, learn what your weak areas are and study your butt off on those topics. And don't take it too seriously, remember that it's just a test that doesn't accurately reflect who you are or what your skills are and doesn't make you less of a tech for failing. I failed my first attempt at the OSCP exam because I was cocky about getting every machine in the lab, felt like a personal blow to my ego to see that I failed. Took a week off, decompressed and went back in knowing that it is just a test, and that there is a way to pass :)
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Heh I've failed many exams along the way and here i am still moving along. Look at it this way, Experience has always been a good teacher. How can you say you have succeeded in life if you've never failed?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I failed the EMC CLARiiON test the first time I took it, I was extremely disappointed given the amount of time I spend preparing. After I got more real world experience, and knew my knowledge weaknesses, and knew what areas not to waste my time on, I took it again and passed it.

Failure is not a bad thing if you learn from it and become better for it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You cannot understand the sweet taste of victory without experiencing the bitter taste of defeat
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    lsud00d wrote: »
    You cannot understand the sweet taste of victory without experiencing the bitter taste of defeat

I can't think of a better response, other than perhaps but on your game face and prepare for passing it on the second go-around.
  • BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to have the attitude that my success is is only a matter of time. If not today then tomorrow, if not this attempt than the next. When I frame the outcome as being inevitable, it allows me to stay focused on the result and not worry about setbacks on the way.

I failed my 70-640 and 70-647 on my first attempts, passed a SQL 2012 exam with a 700, so what? If you knew you would get a job in 6 months paying $200k+ per year, would you worry about not having money at this moment or losing your current job? Keep moving forward towards your goals. Come back with even more passion.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITMonkey wrote: »
    I can't think of a better response, other than perhaps but on your game face and prepare for passing it on the second go-around.

There'll be no butt on my face, thank you very much.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't look at it that way, look at it as a learning experience. Study up on your weak areas and go back and give it a shot. I expect to fail the first time when I take my ccnp route exam :)
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I generally do the same thing with a pass or a fail: Go home and review while the test is fresh in my mind. I failed the 70-680, went home and studied for an hour over the questions I didn't understand then took a break. After that, I continued to study except I put a stronger focus on my weak subjects. I went in again and passed it. Then, again, I went home and went over the questions I didn't understand.

Passing is great! But like you said, it is just a test. If you failed, you did not know the material well enough. If you passed without a perfect score then you still have stuff to improve upon. Unlike school exams, this material will still matter the day after your studies end. Hell, it's what you do for a living! So I try to ensure I learn as much as possible even after I pass the exam. Pass or fail is only used as a measuring tool.

That said, the "break" I took after my 1 hour study session was in the darkest corner of the room in the fetal position crying while listening to Professor Messer in the background make it sound so easy...
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    dave330i wrote: »
    Figure out where you were weak on, study it, then try again.

At the end of the day, this is all we can do. Take the positives from it and move on. I put soooooo much pressure on myself to know the material that so far I haven't missed one yet **knocks on wood**

I think the consensus is that everybody eventually sits one and misses it. The only thing that would upset me is waiting the 5 days.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    ...is waiting the 5 days.

Especially when you barley missed it. You want to sit it again immediately and get it done... It's almost like being in time out.
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I get very angry, then use the rage as fuel for further study.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get angry and freak out for about an hour. I get so emotionally invested in it that I can hardly stop it from happening. While in my "rage" I write down as much as I can remember to study later. I highlight my notes for topics I had seen and drill into those deeply. I draw in penultimate or papyrus to map it all out. Then I reschedule it for as close to 3 days out as I possibly can and after the hour is up I'm calm, cool, collected and ready to get back to it.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I get angry and freak out for about an hour. I get so emotionally invested in it that I can hardly stop it from happening.

Been there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »

Failing takes a big chunk out my confidence. But after a few beers then taking some time to recuperate and identify my weaknesses, I take on the bull again and walk away majestically.
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Not quite the right thread for this, but I had an observation yesterday. I have never felt the thrill of victory after passing a test. The only thing I've felt is a wave of relief. Never did a fist pump or anything like that. Get so wound up in studying these just want to exit the tunnel and rest.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Been there.

The more I fail the easier it gets. I've failed 8 tests and the first was soul crushing, the latest one wasn't nearly as bad. I guess it gets easier as you go.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I just get pissed as hell and never give up. Like the others said it is a great learning experience and it is not entirely bad. Still, I get very pissed and do everything in my power to not fail again.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Figure what part is causing he problem and then solve the problem or strengthen the part.
    Sit back & relax and you will improve for sure.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security