Finally going to take this exam.

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, I believe I've taken too long to study for this exam. Not over studied, but spent too much time with finals and work to handle the daily grind of studying. I found a voucher for $150 on eBay and scheduled the exam for Sunday May19th with Pearson VUE today. Which was good because my school ran out of student vouchers which still would have cost more. There's also more available.

My study resources so far has been Darril Gibson's book, Professor Messer and the wonderful Trainsignal series with Lisa Szpunar.
I've read a chapter at a time, and then reread and took plenty of notes. Then I would watch a video for any interesting or hard to come by topic, and then added a few more additional notes. Then take the practice test at the end of chapters. So far im scoring in the 90s.

I've got a chapter left and will be reviewing for a few days while taking more practice tests and reading different author's books at Barnes and Noble.

I will type up my notes and offer it here when I get the chance.

Do anyone have certain topics or key things to remember? I taken CompTIA tests before and know they are a breeze, but this one seem's intimidating.
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on getting a voucher for only $150. That's a great deal. And since you already scheduled the exam, you know it's valid. I've heard from a few people that have gotten burned buying vouchers on eBay that turned out to be bogus.

I know you're active on these forums so some of this might be a repeat for you but it still might be valuable for some lurkers.

1) Make sure you read up on the performance based questions. People are commonly getting about 7 to 10 these days.

2) Mark and skip a question if you don't understand what it's asking. You can come back to it after answering the rest of the questions. This is especially true of the performance based questions. These can be very time consuming, especially when the directions aren't clear.

3) Know the ports. These are valuable for both some multiple choice and some performance based questions. For some, you should also know if they are TCP or UDP ports for specific protocols.

4) When using practice test questions, ensure you understand why each answer is correct and why each answer is incorrect. This helps ensure you can answer the question no matter how CompTIA words it.

Good luck.
  • movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Congrats on getting a voucher for only $150. That's a great deal. And since you already scheduled the exam, you know it's valid. I've heard from a few people that have gotten burned buying vouchers on eBay that turned out to be bogus.

I know you're active on these forums so some of this might be a repeat for you but it still might be valuable for some lurkers.

1) Make sure you read up on the performance based questions. People are commonly getting about 7 to 10 these days.

2) Mark and skip a question if you don't understand what it's asking. You can come back to it after answering the rest of the questions. This is especially true of the performance based questions. These can be very time consuming, especially when the directions aren't clear.

3) Know the ports. These are valuable for both some multiple choice and some performance based questions. For some, you should also know if they are TCP or UDP ports for specific protocols.

4) When using practice test questions, ensure you understand why each answer is correct and why each answer is incorrect. This helps ensure you can answer the question no matter how CompTIA words it.

Good luck.

Such as? TACACS uses both TCP and UDP but TACACS+ uses TCP perhaps.
    Security+
  • abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats... I picked up one of those $150 vouchers yesterday and scheduled a test for June 10th. (expires June 13th)

I picked up Darril's book last weekend and just finished chapter 9. If I can get the rest in this weekend, I will move my test date up while its fresh.

Good luck on the test!!

PS. Darril, great book, easy to read, easy to understand.... Thanks for putting it out there!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Thanks abramsgunner. You're a quick reader if you're already up to chapter 9. Good luck when you take the exam.