Passed Security+ 5/9

SpencerClarkSpencerClark Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone!

I thought I would share my experience as well. I Passed with a score of 773, this was definitely tougher than I thought. I wished I studies a lot of more of the ports. As with the growing trend, I had 6 simulations all in the beginning. They weren't particularly hard, but I had to read the description a couple of times to figure out what they were really asking for.

I mostly used Darril's book. It was a great resource for this exam. I probably would have done better if I didn't skim over the parts that I thought I knew. I used his app for the iphone as well when I was on the bus and didn't have room for a book or laptop. Also, I used online flash cards from flashcardexchange.com. It's a great website for anyone needing to memorize any material!

Up next is either OSCP or CISSP. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    congrats! the site looks great and i am printing out flash cards right now! thanks for the advice.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the flashcards website :)

I think that both certs require significantly more experience and/or skills than Sec+. OSCP would be valuable for a pentester, where CISSP more for a manager. Good luck!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass. I'm not familiar with OCSP but do know that the CISSP certification is highly valued. It's also significantly more difficult than than the Security+ exam. Many people do the SSCP certification as an interim certification before the CISSP.

Good luck on whatever path you take.
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats! I passed my Security+ about a week ago with an 814. Next up for me is SSCP/CCENT and studying both at the same time is quite the challenge. I personally want the technical learning that comes along with the SSCP, not in a rush to go into management, so the CISSP can wait for a little while.
  • galedgaled Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Fat32Fat32 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Up next is either OSCP or CISSP. Any thoughts?
    Disclaimer: I don't hold either of these certs. Firstly I will direct you to this post: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/24759-need-helping-chosing-security-certification.html#post164976

I have done some research online and talked to CISSP holders I work with. OSCP seems to be geared towards hands on pentesting experience. CISSP is wider in scope and not as deep. Right now I am more interested in understanding OSCP. To get there, I will take Network+ next and then set this up at home: https://community.rapid7.com/docs/DOC-2196
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on the pass SpencerClark! I think others have covered the differences in the OSCP and CISSP...I vote OSCP!
  • duce1duce1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.. I was thinking of taking it soon....
  • SpencerClarkSpencerClark Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THanks Fat32,

If you are interested in taking the Network+, I would recommend Professor Messer on Youtube. He's good, smart, thorough & just funny enough. Best of luck!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63