Options

What's the difference between v7 and v7.1?

kashmokashmo Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys,

I'd like to start studying for the current version of the CEH (v7.1) since it's not retired until October; Also, since there are no study guides for v8. What exactly is the difference between v7 and v7.1? Having a hard time finding this info. If I purchase v7 study guides, am I going to be well prepared for v7.1, or is there a significant difference?

Also, what are you guy's thoughts on the Matt Walker CEH AIO book (published Sept. 2011)?

Thanks,
Kashmo

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I'd like to know the straight poop on this CEH v7, v7.1, v8, etc. business too. Anyone please post links to explanations they find on eccouncil.org or from anywhere else. And I've heard nothing but good things about the Walker book. I'm having a look through it now on Books24x7.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what the difference is between the various versions, but Matt Walkers AIO book was all I needed to pass the v7 exam about a year and a half ago. I casually read the book over a 3 week time and then I reviewed practice questions and worked with some of the tools and syntax that I wasn't familiar with. If you have a few years in infosec, this is a very easy exam.
  • Options
    QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't take 7.0 now... 7.1 replaced it as a minor upgrade. You do have the option of taking 8.0, which is ANSI certified, and the questions are little different than 7.1. 7.1 study materials are fine for 8.0. But I'm telling you, CEH is a waste of time. Few employers know about it, and the word "Hacker" scares the sh1t out of them. You actually want CISSP, or at least jump right to CNDA. I am just telling you from painful experience.
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Looks like the CNDA isn't available to everyone.

From EC-Council | Certified Network Defense Architect

8. Can I obtain CNDA certification?
    No. The CNDA certification is awarded only to employees who work for selected Government and Military Agencies.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Non-infosec employers, sure. If you look, CEH still hits on job sites after CISSP, CISA, GIAC, etc.

It's the A+ of hacking. Not bad, but still entry level. Still waiting on someone to bridge the gap for a mid level cert that's widely recognized. Kind of hard to do since it's ever changing, but I'd still like to see something else widely recognized that doesn't cost you thousands like paying for SANS certs.

1. What makes the CNDA course different from CEH?
    The CNDA course has been specially designed for Government Agencies around the world. Other than the name the content is exactly the same as the CEH.
    Few employers know about it, and the word "Hacker" scares the sh1t out of them. Y
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    No legitmate infosec company will dismiss employees for having CEH. It may not get you a lot of points, because...as was already stated...its an easy exam. But it won't scare employers off. If you are applying for non-infosec jobs...not really sure why you are getting CEH in the first place. Granted, if you are applying for a job at a call center, CEH might raise some eyebrows.
  • Options
    kashmokashmo Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The benefit for me in studying for this cert, as it was for the CISSP, is being forced to consider the big picture. Sometimes it's easy to get focused on one area and not see how it fits on a larger "InfoSec" scale. Sure, it won't make me a pen-testing expert, but because I'm starting to get exposed to that area through my career, I figured I could use this to consider what's encompassed by this particular area of InfoSec.