Any Linux books written in a similar style to Mike Meyers books?

DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
Im set to take my network + cert in about two weeks and am already looking to the next certification goal. Im highly considering Linux as Ive been on quite a few interviews where I was asked whether I knew it or not.
I've very much enjoyed Mike Meyers AIO network + book and am looking for books of a similar writing style. Can anyone suggest one that may be a good start? Ive been considering the AIO Linux + book but Ive read some pretty nasty reviews on amazon saying it will not prepare readers for the test. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same dilemma. I too have looked at the same book on Amazon and it looks shitty. I'll dig around and see what I can find. I'll PM you if I find something that will assist us on passing both exams, but don't hold your breath, dude.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat :) there appears to be a gap in the market for a decent easy to follow Linux+ book. The Sybex Roderick Smith book I have but reading it is like watching paint dry there are hardly any practice exercises either.

In the meantime if you are interested in learning about Linux Servers I am in the process of building up a archive of tutorials I have come across

[ubuntu] Ubuntu Server Tutorials
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    @ Keith - Yeah Im considering just buying the Linux + book just because alot of the reviews say it is useful for beginners. If u find something that looks good I'd appreciate a PM.

@Ally - Yeah Ive read that Mr. Smiths book is very informative however is as interesting as a box of rocks... That is just not my preferred learning style. Thanks for the links!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This book, albeit not a primer on the Linux+ exam, seems to get good reviews on Amazon.com, for all that is worth: Linux Bible: Christopher Negus, Christine Bresnahan: 9781118218549: Amazon.com: Books
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I used (the older version of) this: Amazon.com: Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification (Networking (Course Technology)) (9781418837211): Jason W. Eckert: Books

& had no issues with it. In fact I found it quite enjoyable.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the Linux Bible it's more geared towards redhat distros but it is a awesome book 10/10 a woth while investment
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]The Complete Guide to Linux System Administration by Nick Wells. It's dated but still good.
  • flatman123flatman123 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Xyro wrote: »
    I used (the older version of) this: Amazon.com: Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification (Networking (Course Technology)) (9781418837211): Jason W. Eckert: Books

& had no issues with it. In fact I found it quite enjoyable.

I just bought the 2nd edition for around $6.00...havnet started reading it yet....I also have the comptia linux + ( latest verision)...this book doesn't seem like its actually geared towards beginners...or maybe i'm just too much of a beginner??icon_wink.gif....which is why I bought the 2nd edition of Jason Eckert's book.

I also have the CBT-nuggets LPIC series (videos)..i'm watching the videos first so i can fully understand what i'm reading in the books... ( I find it to be a lot easier that way...my cisco studies went by quicker when using that method...sometimes i'd read the books...then watch the videos...then read the books while referencing the videos or vice versa....takes a while to complete the ceritification with that method, but you FULLY understand what your doing, so answering questions on the test and during interview would be a piece of cake....so i feel its well worth the time and effort..)...oh yea.....google is my third book icon_cool.gif