CEH, where do I start

tiftonhotchildtiftonhotchild Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone and thank you for thanking time to read my post. I have been reading up on the CEH cerification and I want to obtain it. I am currently Working in a IT help desk with little over 4 years experience. I have already obtain A+, Security+, and currently working on Network+ and CCENT. I am just wondering what books and study material will beneficial to my goal.

Comments

• gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, welcome aboard. You have done well with the certs you already have. I recommend getting the All in One Exam Guide and the Sybex book. Amazon.com: certified ethical hacker

Also if you could install some of the tools in a virtual machine so you can get some hands in experience would be more than great.

A friend of mine took the official training and he told me that it was very good. They had many virtual machines which they attacked using some of the most important tools. The only problem is the cost > $1500

Good luck!!!
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    with A+, S+ & your exp with systems, i think u're good to go...

doing mega primers & tutorials from securitytube.net would be a good start which is also free~! :)

there got 2 paid video trainings for CEH, one from CbtNuggets & one from CareerAcademy
    Official training is a bit expensive... (around usd 1500~2500 according to your location)
    exam fees is around usd 550 (plus 100 if u didn't attend official training)

security+ & ccna security books helped me understand many things...
    download backtrack/kali
    & there's always youtube and google
    & read blogs too g0tmi1k , https://www.corelan.be/
    if you like web app pentest, lab webgoat, owasp.org tools & SamuraiWTF Live CD

hope this helps icon_cool.gif
  • tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone and thank you for thanking time to read my post. I have been reading up on the CEH cerification and I want to obtain it. I am currently Working in a IT help desk with little over 4 years experience. I have already obtain A+, Security+, and currently working on Network+ and CCENT. I am just wondering what books and study material will beneficial to my goal.

cbt nuggets has a series on it as well. I wouldn't focus on N+ to be honest with you, try to get the ccna done before the new test comes in since it appears to be A LOT harder
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    For starters, you would probably get a better response if you posted in the section that is dedicated to CEH and CHFI.

That aside, I think you should know that there is A LOT of overlapping content between CEH and Security+. Really, the only additional information you need to know for CEH is familiarity with some of the commonly used industry tools (Nmap, Nessus, Metasploit, etc...).

I'm gonna back gabypr. The AIO exam guide is a good (and relatively cheap) way to go. If you did fairly well with Sec+, you shouldn't have much trouble on this one. Good luck friend.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TB My friend teaches CCNA - CCNP courses and he said this very thing. If I had any intention on getting the NA I would do it NOW.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Honestly your security+ prepped you for the security theories, guidelines and practices. However your networking skills need a lot of work. I would continue to get the network+ then follow up and get the CCNA. Another option you have, if you haven't invested much time in the network+ exam, I would drop it entirely and jump on the ccent/ccna exam. You can study both the CEH and the CCENT/CCNA at the same time. What you learn on the CCNA material will help you with your CEH studies. Network+ and CCENT overlap many topics and cisco is a much more valuable name to have on your resume than comptia. So I would spend my time working on CCENT/CCNA rather than network+.

I second the AIO book that was recommended.
    1. CEH AIO Book
    2. Download Kali Linux
    3. Get a fundamental book for Linux (if you dont have much experience with Linux, it will be difficult at first.)
    4. Youtube / google (youcanfind answers for Linux OS commands/theories and CEH tools concepts.)
    5. Have a no quit attitude
    6. Organize your time
    7. Remind yourself of your goal and stay motivated.
    8. Remind yourself its easy.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hold the CCNA and I've sat down and looked at the new syllabus for the new CCNA. I'll say one thing, yes the new CCNA is much more difficult than the old CCNA. In fact, I'd say the new CCENT is almost as difficult as the old CCNA. if you complete the CCENT (new track) you should be able to both manage routers & switches in a fairly decent sized firm. From what I can see the CCENT is the "core foundation" of R&S and then you choose your track.

PS. Re the CBT Nuggets, the CEH Nuggets are a good watch and pretty interesting. CBT also has Backtrack/Kali Linux nuggets now which really get into some deeper tech/hacking stuff.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing to note is that you will have to either take an official EC-Council training, or pay the $100 application fee and show your 2 years of security experience.

I did not find the test difficult at all. The only resource I really used was the Matt Walker AIO book.
    I have a bit of experience with security, so I think that really helped. My BS and the MS I am currently working on are both in IT Security, so that also helped me out.

More info here.
    EC-Council | CEH Exam 312-50