Options

Studying for my CCIE is making me dumb at work

shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
I thought it was suppose to make you better? Case in point. I'm starting to over think problems I encounter at work instead of sticking with the basics 1st. In my military days the officers who had EE degrees where the main culprits of this. They would overlook Ohms law and think the problems something involving thermodynamics or some other heavy engineering concept.
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've actually felt studying for the IE has improved my ability to resolve issues at work. I don't always know the answers to my problems, but I have a pretty methodical approach to fixing issues. Most end up being fairly simple, but there has been a time or two when I was troubleshooting routing, for example, only to find out that I forgot to bring an interface up, so I get what you're saying.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I can imagine so given the depth of the material necessary to complete the exam. You now have almost too many avenues to consider. Not that I have anything existential to provide, but now that you have acknowledged it, refer back to it as your first step. I keep coming back to Occam's Razor when I think about that situation.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    shodown wrote: »
    I thought it was suppose to make you better? Case in point. I'm starting to over think problems I encounter at work instead of sticking with the basics 1st. In my military days the officers who had EE degrees where the main culprits of this. They would overlook Ohms law and think the problems something involving thermodynamics or some other heavy engineering concept.

I'm no where near the IE level but in my experience with Voice...the majority of issues are basic. There are just so many pieces that it only takes one minor change or wrong config to break it. The only time I really have to do in depth troubleshooting is when we move to a new release and discover some crazy bug.

I definitely can understand what you are saying even though...and I'm not near as experienced as you are. Even CCNP Voice has a lot of details that I rarely use in the field.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can imagine that. I wouldn't think it makes you dumb just makes you over analyze. If anything you know you now have the IE knowledge to fall back on just need to know where to apply it. I would image many people have the same problem time to time.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I'd take a small step back and review the basics. One thing my CCIE studying has taught me, is teach how the simple show commands can easily point you to the issue.

A quick glance over the config will tell you if it is right or wrong, then follow the traffic flow verifying L2/L3 as you go. 9 times out of 10 the issue is something easily that I hate, only in that odd ball situation does a network issue resemble an episode of House.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS