Passed!

valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just got home from passing my Security+ test! Scored a 775! I used a myriad of resources, including Exam Cram, some of Darril Gibson's book, and some of the tech notes from this website. Thankfully I checked the forums before taking the test and I was able to mentally prepare myself for the simulation questions, which are actually pretty easy. Thanks to this site for being a wonderful resource in exam prep!
A+, MTA: Networking, Net+, MTA: Security, MTA: OS Fundamentals, Security+

Comments

• movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I am taking mine on the 30th.
    Security+
  • valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I am taking mine on the 30th.

Good luck. From my experience and several others that I talked to who took it last week, my best piece of advice: Know your cryptography and authentication.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. It looks like you're building a solid foundation of certifications. Good luck with your next adventure.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. It looks like you're building a solid foundation of certifications. Good luck with your next adventure.

First, thank you to everyone who congratulated me.

Second, thanks for the well wishes... However, I'm unsure what that next adventure is for me currently. I'm graduating high school in a few weeks and I'm enrolled in an engineering school for Computer Science, plush I'm awaiting the results of an interview with YUM! for a help desk internship. So I'm not sure if I should pursue another cert or just focus on working toward my degree (going to go for a masters) and (hopefully) my job. If I do decide to work toward a cert in the future, any suggestions of which one I should go for? I'm torn between something geared more toward advanced networking or more toward advanced security...
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @valondon. All those certs for someone just graduating high school is especially impressive. Congrats again.

You might like to take a look at some of the general forums in this site (General Forums) and post your questions there. You will probably get a response from people with broader backgrounds.

In short, I'd say that your degree is most important in the long term. Certifications expire but degrees do not. A Computer Science degree can be challenging, but you can probably earn certs while you are pursuing a degree just like you did while attending high school.

Networking or security? The best choice is what you enjoy the most but you might not have enough experience to know what you enjoy the most. The degree will expose you to a lot more than a certification and help you identify what you enjoy. In my experience, a Computer Science degree includes programming and you might find that you enjoy that more than networking or security.

Good luck with the YUM! internship.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    High School? Damn you're on the right track with a great head start way to go man
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job, when I took the test I only used the Gibson book.
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!! :)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security