eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
just something interesting...
http://thesource.ofallevil.com/
witty comment

Comments

• jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    jim_stasz wrote:
    I thought this was the source of all evil....

http://wbab.com/images/morningshow/georgestein.jpg

Aint that the truth.....grumpy bastard....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Had a training session from a MS trainer today and when asked he said personally he prefers to use Unix on servers rather than Windows!!

icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    Had a training session from a MS trainer today and when asked he said personally he prefers to use Unix on servers rather than Windows!!

icon_lol.gif

Yet he is happy to make a good living off teaching MS products??? Hmmmmm
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm a Microsoft Certified Trainer and I prefer Unix and Linux depending on the situation/server usage. All in the same, I prefer 2000/2003 server in many instances too. It should always depend on the applicability of what the server is going to be used for.

Yes its a strange irony.........
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sie wrote:

Yes its a strange irony.........
    "Working towards MCP, MCDST + MCSA 2003" icon_rolleyes.gif

What's funny is how this post turned into MS vs Linux. We've had some long discussions about this in the past, and you really shouldn't throw emotions and other subjective factors into the mix when choosing an OS or any product. As Keatron said: "It should always depend on the applicability of what the server is going to be used for".

Someone claimed a while ago that most servers run Linux anyway, I can't find the article right now, but Microsoft Windows dominates the corporate server market, not Linux or any *nix flavor.
    "Working towards MCP, MCDST + MCSA 2003" icon_rolleyes.gif

Never mentioned my own choice, just the comments from trainer.
    (Personally i dont have enough Linux knowledge to comment from experience)

Would also agree (as you both said) it would depend on the what the server was used for and who was using , administrating the server.

PS: Wasnt trying to start a debate on them both! icon_confused.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You are right, you never mentioned preferring one over the other. But comments like "Had a training session from a MS trainer today and when asked he said personally he prefers to use Unix on servers rather than Windows!!" in response to a topic that isn't about that at all, tend to result into Linux vs MS debates often more loaded with personal preferences than facts. I should have used ;) instead of icon_rolleyes.gif I guess, cause I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything.
    who was using , administrating the server.
    That's a good point as well. When I started in IT there was the MS vs Novell debate, and I was asked to migrate a Netware 4.11 to NT 4 at a branch office. The local administrator had been working for Novell for almost a decade, and was about to retire in 8 months. So logically I recommended to postpone the migration (the only reason to migrate was to get a MS network throughout the entire enterprise, and there were plenty of other locations I could do first). And that's partly why the emotional subjective opinionated comments about Linux vs MS are so dangerous. CEO, incompetent IT managers, etc, etc, pick up these comments and when looking at the license fees for Linux they suddenly decide they should move everything to Linux 'because it is more secure'. Not a great way to keep the IT staff happy.

And to return to the topic: I thought the source of evil was **** ;)
    ^^

Spot on. I know people who choose IBM hardware and Lotus Notes software because they are 'IBM' people when it really is not suited to the situation (and IBM hardware is the WORST!)
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strauchr wrote:
    ^^

Spot on. I know people who choose IBM hardware and Lotus Notes software because they are 'IBM' people when it really is not suited to the situation (and IBM hardware is the WORST!)

Woohoo! Let's start a thread for:
      Windows vs. Linux IBM vs. Dell Outlook vs. Notes Coke vs. Pepsi
    Just kidding... :)

And I might as well say it before someone else does:

1 Timothy 6:10
    For the love of money is the root of all evil....

icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Windows
    Dell (Anything over IBM)
    Outlook
    Coke

Theres my votes :D
  • Kevin.SmithKevin.Smith Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ditto!
    Put me down for the same.
    WIP: A+ Essentials
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We do exactly the same where I work. Even have a COKE machine instead of Pepsi. :D

And I hate the Software Engineers who constantly complain to me that they want to install Linux on their workstations because they are just so anti-MS.
    TeKniques wrote:
    We do exactly the same where I work. Even have a COKE machine instead of Pepsi. :D

And I hate the Software Engineers who constantly complain to me that they want to install Linux on their workstations because they are just so anti-MS.

Let them do it and then they will see how much work it is to get it to talk to the rest of environment, install drivers and see how much software they need will work on it.

Oops, lets not start the debate. :P