Advise for Student

ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm after some advise on where to go next in terms of certifications.

I've just completed 2/3 years at University studying Networks and Security and I now have time off for summer. The curriculum studied so far at Uni is primarily Cisco based and looking at it, I don't think there will be any material on Windows domain environments. After recently looking at employee requirements for networking jobs - it appears Microsoft certifications are a must for a networking position.

Also a number of years ago (before I started at Uni) I was looking at pursuing MCSE 2003 certifications and after 2 attempts passed exam 70-270 (Windows XP). I was also well on my way to attempting exam 70-290 (Server 2003).

I also currently have an office job which doesn't offer much in terms of networking and is technically a very basic job with no access to server administration experience.

My question is: What current certifications would be more beneficial for me to pursue, 2008 or 2012? Please bear in mind that I have some time left at Uni so these certifications would not be put in to practise for possibly atleast another 12 months.

Many thanks

Comments

• ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After looking on MS.com, some of the MCITP exams retire as early as July this year! I guess I've pretty much answered my own question.
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you thought about getting your CCENT or CCNA or even network+/Security+? that would directly relate to what you are studying and would probably be your best option.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    only the NAME of MCITP is being retired. The exams are the same and you will now earn the title of MCSA or MCSE. The actual exams are not retiring any time soon. I suggest you work on Server 08 as it is not going anywhere for a long time.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    cruwl wrote: »
    Have you thought about getting your CCENT or CCNA or even network+/Security+? that would directly relate to what you are studying and would probably be your best option.

I have passed CCNA 1, 2 and I think we are due to take 3 + 4 next year, as part of the course.

So even though an exam is "retired" you can still take them? If so - what does "retired" mean exactly?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The exams are the same and you will now earn the title of MCSA or MCSE.
    This is mostly innumerate. The only way to outright earn an MCSA title with an MCITP title is to pass MCITP:DA/EDST or MCTIP:SA/EA. There is no way to earn an MCSE title directly with any MCITP titles, and in fact no direct upgrade path to MCSE from any of them. Look over the current line of MCSEs and you will see they all use 2013/2013 era certs, with no direct upgrade exams. In fact, the only upgrade exam of which I'm aware is the MCSA Server 2008 to 2012. MCITP titles for 2008/2010-era Lync, Exchange, SQL/BI, and Vista-era MCITP titles are simply retiring with no MCSA bestowed and no upgrade path.

You can find detailed info here.

In regards to OP's question, if you won't put these into practice for 12 months, I would actually recommend looking into MCSA Server 2012. While going for MCSA Server 2008 (AKA MCITP:SA) gives a one-test upgrade path to 2012, it's a lot of extra time studying old tech considering you won't use it for a year, and all to earn just a second MCSA title (not worthless, but not that valuable). While Server 2008 will be around for a long time and I normally advise taking it, I think your time and money will be better spent focusing on current-gen tech given the time frame you're looking at.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ivlatt wrote: »
    I have passed CCNA 1, 2 and I think we are due to take 3 + 4 next year, as part of the course.

So even though an exam is "retired" you can still take them? If so - what does "retired" mean exactly?

I'm Pretty sure with CCNA Acadamy 1&2 completed you should be able to pass CCENT and network+, I would look over the cert objectives and see if you have already covered most of it. You really should be able to pass Network plus with minimal study time.
    cruwl wrote: »
    I'm Pretty sure with CCNA Acadamy 1&2 completed you should be able to pass CCENT and network+, I would look over the cert objectives and see if you have already covered most of it. You really should be able to pass Network plus with minimal study time.

How valuable are network+ certs though? I've looked over the network based jobs w/ 30 mile radius of my location, on cwjobs.co.uk, and none of the employers expect network+ certs, only Microsoft certs, which were essential for all of the jobs.
  • DustyRackDustyRack Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends what you want to do whats your interest? You say your degree is focused on Networking and Security then why dont you have a look at the Microsoft stuff or Linux. Try to a wide range of knowledge once you find something you love to do then focus more on that.
    ptilsen wrote: »
    This is mostly innumerate. The only way to outright earn an MCSA title with an MCITP title is to pass MCITP:DA/EDST or MCTIP:SA/EA. There is no way to earn an MCSE title directly with any MCITP titles, and in fact no direct upgrade path to MCSE from any of them. Look over the current line of MCSEs and you will see they all use 2013/2013 era certs, with no direct upgrade exams. In fact, the only upgrade exam of which I'm aware is the MCSA Server 2008 to 2012. MCITP titles for 2008/2010-era Lync, Exchange, SQL/BI, and Vista-era MCITP titles are simply retiring with no MCSA bestowed and no upgrade path.

You can find detailed info here.

In regards to OP's question, if you won't put these into practice for 12 months, I would actually recommend looking into MCSA Server 2012. While going for MCSA Server 2008 (AKA MCITP:SA) gives a one-test upgrade path to 2012, it's a lot of extra time studying old tech considering you won't use it for a year, and all to earn just a second MCSA title (not worthless, but not that valuable). While Server 2008 will be around for a long time and I normally advise taking it, I think your time and money will be better spent focusing on current-gen tech given the time frame you're looking at.

Thats what I meant to say. MCITP:SA and EA turns into MCSA and MCSE correct?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    MCITP:SA and EA turns into MCSA and MCSE correct?
    No, not correct. EA turns into MCSA. Nothing gets an MCSE except current-gen MCSE exams.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    Ah ok thanks for the correction. I only knew so little about the MCSE change. I realize that in order to get an MCSE as an EA, you need to take the appropriate upgrade.

what does SA turn into? Are they not the same 3 exams as MCSA:08?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    DustyRack wrote: »
    It depends what you want to do whats your interest? You say your degree is focused on Networking and Security then why dont you have a look at the Microsoft stuff or Linux. Try to a wide range of knowledge once you find something you love to do then focus more on that.
    I think for now I'd be happy administering domain environments. From what I understand, the responsibility isn't enourmous which is ideal whilst I build some experience. The pay isn't too bad either.
  • DustyRackDustyRack Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ivlatt wrote: »
    I think for now I'd be happy administering domain environments. From what I understand, the responsibility isn't enourmous which is ideal whilst I build some experience. The pay isn't too bad either.

Sounds like a plan. Stick to that but dont become static keep looking to try new things for example simple administration would be using the GUI try and create AD objects via other methods (PowerShell) The more you practice the more you'll begin to understand.
    I realize that in order to get an MCSE as an EA, you need to take the appropriate upgrade.
    No, there's no upgrade from EA. The only upgrade is MCSA 2008 (which EA bestows) to MCSA 2012, which is a subset of several MCSEs. The EA itself doesn't upgrade to anything, and nothing upgrades directly to MCSE.
    what does SA turn into? Are they not the same 3 exams as MCSA:08?
    This is correct. MCSA 2008 and MCITP:SA are the same tests. The only change for this certification is the MCITP title will not be available after July.

The best way to compare this situation would be to the 2003 to 2008 upgrade exams. With MCSA 2003, you had 70-648, and with MCSE you had 70-649. The first got you a subset of MCITP:SA, the latter a subset of MCITP:EA. It gave MCSEs and MCSAs upgrade paths to their respective successor certifications. There is no longer such a path for the higher-level cert. EA and SA both bestow MCSA 2008, and both upgrade to MCSA 2012, with no shorter path to get to any MCSE titles.