After CCNA (R&S), Should I go for Voice directly or CCNP R&S ?

kp10tangkp10tang Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
My first time posting. I have just passed ccna. I work at airline company. I am the only IT person in the United States. I have all access to CISCO IVR, CUCM, CME, Gateway, Etc with administrator password. I was interested in Cisco Security but I couldn't let this huge opportunity work with Voice so I decided to go for Voice. <-- Hopefully right decision. I have a B/S degree in Business by the way. Should I go for voice directly or is it recommend to study CCNP RS first? Thank you..

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have access to the equipment, go for CCNA Voice - try the free INE.com videos: CCNA Voice - Version 8.0 - Introduction
    kp10tang wrote: »
    I am the only IT person in the United States.
    Congratulations! They finally sent all the other jobs offshore. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    If you have access to the equipment, go for CCNA Voice - try the free INE.com videos: CCNA Voice - Version 8.0 - Introduction

Congratulations! They finally sent all the other jobs offshore. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think he meant he's the only person for that particular airline company in the United States, though i had to laugh at your reply. :p
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I wouldn't bother with CCNP R/S if your going to work with Voice day in and day out. Parts of SWITCH would be beneficial to Voice work but ROUTE would be mostly worthless. You'd forget the stuff you don't use. Get certified in the areas what you use day in and day out first.

I'm running into that problem now. Soon to be finished with CCNP Voice and want to knock out another cert while looking for a new job. I'm bored at my current position and have the free time. That said, I've already forgotten must of the CLI for routing protocols. I hadn't used them since labbing for CCNA exam so CCNP R/S will be difficult for me. I'll probably do CCNA Security and CCDA instead. I have a lot of Security experience so I'm guessing I could knock that out in two months or so.
  • kp10tangkp10tang Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aaron - I am on the same boat as you. Thanks. Also, all main ITs are in Korea and actuall, i am a third party contractor who were hired by airline company. I was amazed that they gave me all the password to access to the Gateway, etc because of the time difference here and korea, they want me to take care of everything.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    As a voice engineer, I think there would be value in the CCNP R/S, but if you are working with voice, and want to go that way, CCNA Voice is the logical next step.

As to forgetting the material, you will probably get that, but it comes back more quickly than you would think when you need it.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog