SQL Server exams with mysql experience ?

mrploddymrploddy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I want to get a databases cert behind me. I'm open source by trade and all my experience is with Mysql but I'm half and half about doing the Oracle exams at £300 for the 2 developer exams when I could get an MCITP SQL Server 2008 for half the cost more or less if I go through a short dated voucher site.

I know query construction eg where/ having / group by / limit / sub queries / indexes / constraints so was just wondering what would you do if you were in my position ? Would you do the MySQL exams or the SQL Server exams ? How much work is there to do SQL Server exams with reasonable SQL experience ? Obviously I'd go for the Developer exams - is the MS Training Kit the recommended book for 433 ?

Thanks

-mrploddy

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Bumpety bumpety bump. I think the OP had a valid question, and I've had a similar one lately.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Obviously MySQL, Oracle and T-SQL are all based on ANSI SQL but all do implement the standard differently. Microsoft likes to test on their specific T-SQL syntax. IMO, the Microsoft cert probably carries more weight than the Oracle one. I think if your SQL skillset is strong you would need only learn the details of the syntax related to Microsoft's T-SQL. However, if you work mostly in Oracle, I would recommend getting certified in what you work in because that is where your experience and expertise are.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I've been thinking Microsoft SQL would be more commonplace, but Oracle jobs might have higher pay because of the fewer jobs and additional complexity of the product. MySQL is a good jumping off point for either of these, but getting certified in MySQL is more useful if you live in a region with a lot of eCommerce and might be even more useful if you have Linux/web development background to use with it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers