Looking for Career Advice

Satcom_GuruSatcom_Guru Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Goodafternoon everyone,

I've been watching these forums for a while lately, a little over a year for some advice here and there with career progression. I passed and received my Security+ in March 2012 while in Afghanistan and am currently contemplating what my next move should be towards a career in the IT/Satcom field. I've been working in the Army as a 25S7D Satellite Communications Operator and Maintainer since 2009. I've been told that the contracted Civilian jobs overseas are a really great way to go with progression and money making. As of now I am studying on my CCNA as a good founding base for my Post-Military career. I guess I'm on here to get an idea with what I could possibly get into working with what I do in the military. I currently work a great deal with FDMA/TDMA Transmissions, AES Router, Cisco Unified Call Manager, Cisco Switches and routers, CAT-5 making, and Optical Fiber making and tipping. The only Certificates I have would be my Military Sat-Com Certificate, Basic Routers/Switches, Advanced Routers/Switches, and my Security+. I'm heading overseas to Kuwait in September and they have a Pearson Vue Testing site in which I shall be testing for my CCNA there. If there is any advice anyone could offer me that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. I'm new here so be easy :)

Comments

• geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you're on the right path SatcomGuru. I think you're asking what youre next move could/should be? My question to you back would be 'what do you like?' Routing and switching can assist with a network technican or installer work...there are a ton of defense contractors always looking for knowledgeabel folsk to do remote installs and/or config bench work. In addition, field technicians are a valubale and/or IT helpdesk staff who understand Layer 1-4 troubleshooting. I hope this helps :)
  • Satcom_GuruSatcom_Guru Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply. I absolutely Enjoy the Satellite Communications portion of my job. I've won countless CPN/JNN battle drill competitions here at Fort Hood and am recognized by many Civilians and Military personel for how dilligent and precise my work is. I'm just worried there won't be a job outside the military for me. I guess I'm asking for help as to where I could apply and what other CompTia Certs would benefit my career.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    You could always pick up the Network+. When you finish CCNA, you could go for the CCNA Security.
    Texas is a good place for tech jobs. Is that where you plan on staying?
    Routing and switching guys are needed everywhere. Security is poised to be even bigger in the coming years.
    You are on the right track.
  • tanya_whitetanya_white Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CompTIA has recently offered CASP certification for IT professionals who are willing to enhance there skills in terms of advance security, also CASP certification is approved for DoD technicians as well.
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    You could always pick up the Network+. When you finish CCNA, you could go for the CCNA Security.
    Texas is a good place for tech jobs. Is that where you plan on staying?
    Routing and switching guys are needed everywhere. Security is poised to be even bigger in the coming years.
    You are on the right track.
    I am contemplating staying in Texas. I'd love to head overseas as a contracted civilian in 2015 for a year or two and then come back to the states and work in Austin, Texas.
    CompTIA has recently offered CASP certification for IT professionals who are willing to enhance there skills in terms of advance security, also CASP certification is approved for DoD technicians as well.
    Thank you, I was actually talking to my CW2 about the CASP and might possibly be my next cert to get after my Network Plus. The only thing with Network+ is that I'm not used to using the routing protocols that the civilian networks use, rather than what we use in the military. Though the Civilian side is so much easier in my opinion
    I don't remember there being a lot on routing protocols on the Net+. I think there is a chapter with what routing protocols do and the different types, but nothing indepth. You won't need to know how to set up EIGRP on a router or anything like that.

Does the military have their own top secret routing protocols? Nice!

I hear Austin is nice. That was one of the places that I was looking for jobs. NC just came through first.
    I don't remember there being a lot on routing protocols on the Net+. I think there is a chapter with what routing protocols do and the different types, but nothing indepth. You won't need to know how to set up EIGRP on a router or anything like that.

Does the military have their own top secret routing protocols? Nice!

I hear Austin is nice. That was one of the places that I was looking for jobs. NC just came through first.

We dont really use EIGRP at all. I know when I deployed both times I opted my Chief and I to use some protocols over what the Military normally does and it was flawless.

And I apologize. My Chief said I would have to learn the "Wrong Way" aka the right way that isnt military protocols in order to pass my CCNA. I spent over 26 months downrange doing nothing but programing Cisco Equipment.
    I have to say, with that experience, I don't think the Net+ will pose any problem for you. I knew almost nothing about networking. I read the Net+ Exam Cram book in 3 weeks and went and passed the exam with an 875. You should have no problems.
    I have to say, with that experience, I don't think the Net+ will pose any problem for you. I knew almost nothing about networking. I read the Net+ Exam Cram book in 3 weeks and went and passed the exam with an 875. You should have no problems.
    Awesome! Great to know. I know it's not on CCNA's level, but any certificates looks good. Thank you
    No problem, Sir.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, if you're a squared away Sierra, I don't think you'll have much difficulty finding a job. I've worked with two and both are now contractors downrange in AFG making insane money. Good enough that one of them bought a house in Hawaii in cash! (Disclaimer: it took him 5 years to save up for it, along with a convenient dip in the market) Of course, it's always safe to diversify your knowledge and going the R&S route is a good complementary skillset to your current one. The dude with the house just got his CCNP, with all the training and tests paid for by his company. If you'd like, shoot me your email and I'll forward it to my buddy and maybe you two can talk your satcom mumbo jumbo. ;)

Another nice route that you might look into (and with the CASP, will be dipping your toes a bit) is the security/IA angle. There is a wave that's growing through the DoD for security folks, and with tactical units they probably won't get dedicated IA personnel any time soon. Building up a knowledge base and gaining experience in IA will give you a leg up on other folks you'd be competing with, especially if you can double hat for your unit.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!