Options

Passed Security+ 04/29

juliskjulisk Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys
Just got my security+ and wanted to share my experience.
First of all i was surprised by amount of performance-based questions. I was under impression that its going to be 3 of them, but i got 6 or 7. For a second i felt like they will never end!

I user Darril's book and Darril's questions/answers book too to prepare. Flash card were really helpful to see where you stand. Watched some of the Professor Messer's videos as well. Tried to take Practice Exam from ProProfs - thats no good - poorly worded questions and a lot of them are not similar with real exam.
Good advise would be to memorize port numbers, it will help you to answer fair amount of question.

Thank you, Darill Gibson! The book was a great help to organize information in my head, very structured.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums julisk. Congratulations on the pass and thanks for the kind words.

It seems like everyone I'm hearing from lately is reporting about 7 to 10 performance based questions. Glad to hear that they didn't surprise you.

Good luck with your next adventure.
  • Options
    Fat32Fat32 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    julisk wrote: »
    Good advise would be to memorize port numbers, it will help you to answer fair amount of question.

Yep, I'd also say to memorize protocols used over those ports: i.e. TACACS+, TCP over 49 and etc. I actually practiced writing down from memory 25 ports at least several times a week.
  • Options
    movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
    Security+
  • Options
    juliskjulisk Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you!

Anyone passed SSCP after Security+?
    trying to understand the major difference between this two, just bcs its only little bit of new information so i'm assuming that difference is in the exam structure.
    I know i should post under SSCP exam forum, but they rarely compare it with Security+.
    Thank you all
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats on the pass!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    I would be interested in a comparison as well..
  • Options
    WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    rscrt wrote: »
    Congrats!

I would be interested in a comparison as well..

Ditto. Taking the Sec+ in a few hours, SSCP in about a month.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    trying to understand the major difference between this two, just bcs its only little bit of new information so i'm assuming that difference is in the exam structure.

I'm not sure I can nail down a major difference between the two, but here are some that come to mind.
    • More questions (250)
    • Stricter requirements for certification
    • Only multiple choice questions
    • Some questions can be much deeper than Security+ questions
    You'll find that the SSCP is a little more difficult than the Security+ but there is a lot of familiar material between the two. Many people take it as a stepping stone to the much more difficult CISSP exam. One thing you can do is check out the domain objectives in the SSCP exam outline (also called a candidate information bulletin or CIB). Click on Download the Exam Outline from this page: https://www.isc2.org/sscp/default.aspx.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    I'm not sure I can nail down a major difference between the two, but here are some that come to mind.
    • More questions (250)
    Hi Darril. I think the SSCP is only 125 questions, not 250. I passed Security+ with an 857 two weeks ago. Your book one was one of my main sources- thanks. SSCP is next on my radar as well.
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums aaronw. You're absolutely correct. The SSCP only has 125 questions and 25 of these are beta questions. Not sure what I was thinking there but thanks for the clarification.